𝟜𝟜: One Hundred Dollars

With Nic's sixteenth birthday right around the corner, the Reid house has been full of chaos and excitement.

Nothing has been able to spoil Nic's good mood recently. Not even John when he pointed out that he was still a year older than her. Even then, she hadn't let his teasing get to her.

Especially not when she knew that with this brand new age, comes a brand new experience. Dating.

Will and Gina both agreed that John and Nic were not allowed to date until they turned sixteen. And now that Nic's big day is finally a few days away, she can barely contain her joy.

Visions of Dawson Taylor taking her out to a nice restaurant or a movie fill her head this morning as she gets ready for school.

She's gotten to know him quite a bit since he gave her that note a few months ago. He now has a seat at Nic, Kate, and Stan's table in the cafeteria.

Just the other day, they were all talking about going fishing together. Nic doesn't really care for fishing, but Dawson promised to bait her hook for her, and that was all she needed to hear.

Her thoughts drift a moment from Dawson to Kate. Recently, Nic has felt bad for her best friend. Even more so than usual. Kate's parents are very strict with her, even though their daughter is extremely obedient and always stays out of trouble. Even while having two friends who run straight into trouble every chance they get.

Last Saturday, Kate had come over to Nic's house and they were sitting out back on the porch swing.

"Nic, if I tell you something, will you promise not to tell another soul?" Kate had asked, seriously.

"Of course! What is it?"

Kate had leaned closer and whispered it, even though no one else was around to hear.

"It's about Stan."

"What about him?"

"Me and him have been talking recently. He wants to take me out, but he knows my parents don't like him very much."

Nic's spine had straightened upon hearing this. Of course, she'd known forever that Stan liked Kate, but to hear that he wanted to actually go on a real date with her was so weird.

And it hurt a little that he hadn't mentioned anything about it to her.

"I thought your parents didn't like dating at all," she had said.

"Well, they don't. But they'd allow it, if it was a nice, Christian boy. Someone who was faithful to the church and stuff."

Nic let out a laugh then.

"Well, that doesn't match Stan at all."

"I know," Kate replied, her expression downcast,"but I like him just the way he is. I want them to like him too. But they think he's nothing but trouble. They'll never let us be anything more than friends."

Nic is jarred from her memories when she hears her cousin's voice behind her.

"What?" She says, having not heard him.

John rolls his eyes at her and walks over to where she's sitting at her vanity. He tries to sit on the ledge, but Nic tells him to get off.

"You'll mess it up," she says, applying blush to her cheeks.

"How? I was just sitting on it."

"You always find a way."

With a frown, John reaches out and takes a tube of lipstick out of Nic's makeup bag.

"Hey!" Nic snaps, reaching for it,"give me that!"

Instead of returning it, John takes the top off and inspects the beautiful red color.