Chapter: 42

N A T A L I A

Upon arriving at the training ground, I was shocked to discover evidence of an attack.

Members of the pack were dealing with bodies, and bloodstains marred the ground. It took me a second to comprehend what was happening. Callum.

Concerned for him, I scanned the area frantically, but he was nowhere to be found.

Frowning, I was addressed by a tall, muscular pack member who acknowledged me respectfully.

"Luna," he said.

"What's happened?" I inquired urgently.

"There was an attack this morning," he responded, attempting to reassure me, he continued, "But it's been resolved."

As my concern intensified upon confirmation, I pressed further, "Where's Callum?"

The man, seemingly remembering his duty to his alpha, scanned the surroundings before offering me an apologetic gaze, letting me know he, in fact, didn't know where his leader was.

"I saw him fighting earlier and then was dis..."

His words trailed off as I was suddenly enveloped in a warm embrace, pulled against a familiar sturdy chest. I knew it was Callum without having to turn around.

"My Luna," he whispered against my ear, drawing in my scent. "What are you doing here?"

His presence and the comfort of his embrace washed over me, but I could sense something wrong. The thought prompted tears to well up.

Taking a moment to compose myself, I turned around to meet his gaze. I was surprised to find Luke, Felix and a couple of other men around him.

They all looked displeased with something, but I paid little attention to them as I scanned Callum's eyes for any clues.

He appeared well, and his eyes didn't reveal anything out of the ordinary. My wolf craved his embrace and before I could ponder any further, I found myself leaning into his arms.

Callum, equally surprised, was taken aback by my sudden movement, but nevertheless, quickly returned the embrace.

Pulling back enough to glance down at me, he raised a brow. "Is everything alright?"

I nodded, offering a reassuring smile to alleviate any concern, despite the turmoil within me.

"I was worried, that's all," I admitted.

"You don't need to be," he reassured and brought his finger to caress my cheek. "I will keep you safe, princess."

"It wasn't myself I was worried about," I countered gently. "I was worried about you. I had a dream that you were injured."

Callum's embrace tightened, and he leaned down to plant a firm kiss on my temple.

"Baby, I'm perfectly fine," he vowed. "You should head back to rest."