Chapter: 27

N A T A L I A

Callum and I were the only ones remaining in the house after the departure of my mother. He was in his wolf form, breathing heavily, his eyes shrouded in darkness.

Approaching him, I placed my hand on his side, feeling the coarse fur under my touch. He nuzzled my neck, aiming for his mark on me to calm himself.

When he noticed the faint remnants of the burn on my neck, a growl escaped him before he tenderly licked the area on my skin.

"It's okay," I reassured him. "I'm okay. Please shift back."

Letting out a low howl against my neck, he complied, returning to his human form. Without hesitation, he pulled me into a tight embrace.

"You're hurt," he gritted out against my head, his voice stern.

"It was just a touch," I assured him, running my hands up and down his arms reassuringly as I pulled back to meet his gaze.

His brows furrowed at my words, but he didn't press further.

"What was my mother talking about?" I inquired cautiously, knowing it likely was a sensitive topic.

Callum brushed the back of his fingers down my cheek, his eyes containing dark specks. His wolf was on edge, but remained contained.

"I don't talk about my family," he calmly told me. "It's a rule I established after losing my parents. There's a lo—"

His words were cut short when Felix barged into the house, interrupting him mid sentence. Noah quickly appeared behind the beta.

Felix looked mad, meanwhile, Noah annoyed.

"Cover up, dude," Noah groaned, shielding his eyes from the sight of the naked Callum.

Felix and Callum seemed to have communicated through their mind link, ignoring Noah completely, when Callum emitted a loud growl.

He grasped my hand firmly, already leading us out of the house and not giving me a second to question anything.

His revelation about his parents had caught me off guard, especially after learning that his parents were not alive, and I wanted to hear the rest of what he wanted to tell me.

I glanced up at him, all thoughts vanishing when I realised he was still naked.

Concerned about Callum's nude form wandering outside, effortlessly, I collected a pair of shorts and handed it to him, making my mate raise a brow in return.

He didn't question me, and took the piece of fabric from my hand. I was much more relaxed when he was covered.

'You will explain that later,' he communicated through the mind link, but didn't look at me.

I shrugged in response. 'Maybe. Depends on how much you're willing to share about yourself.'

My words made him look down at me with a puzzled look, but he didn't pester me about it.