Chapter: 2

*picture of Callum

C A L L U M

𓃢

The crisp scent of pines filled the air as I was standing at the edge of the training grounds, observing the new pups as they eagerly learned under the supervision of the country's best fighters. My best fighters.

At my presence, a couple of heads turned in my direction. My members bowed their heads in respect and I nodded for them to continue.

Despite the bustling activity and the familiar sounds of training, an unsettling feeling gnawed at my consciousness. It was normal to feel cautious during this shifting period.

I was on high alert and had implemented the rule to provide further protection to the pack during this time. The pups needed to train, hard and fast.

As the Alpha of the largest pack in the country, I was all too familiar with the allure my territory held for Rogues seeking power. To ensure the safety of the pack, I had early on implemented rigorous training protocols for the newly shifted pups.

They trained for two weeks, sharpened their skills and forged bonds that would strengthen the pack.

As the final week of training commenced, a sense of pride swelled within me as I witnessed the progress made by each pup. Their determination was palpable with their commitment unwavering.

Times like this served as reminder that I was a good leader.

Yet, despite the apparent smoothness of the regimen, a lingering sense of vigilance remained in my mind.

Being a part of a pack consisting of 420 members only heightened the responsibilities. Each day brought new challenges and preparing the pups helped in their transition.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows across the training grounds, I couldn't help but feel a surge of anticipation for what the future held for the young pups.

It was the last thought that consumed me when my Beta, Felix, pulled me out of my trance.

Whilst observing the young warriors, I had completely dismissed my beta calling for me through the mind-link. Only now, realising the threat that lurked beyond our border.

"Rogues," Felix growled, his voice tinged with urgency and eyes charcoal as he appeared beside me.

My instincts flared and my Wolf stirred relentlessly within me at the mere mention of the word.

"Where are they?" I demanded and moved in sync with Felix as he lead us away from the training grounds.

"They were dealt with," Felix responded, his tone grim. "Eleven were instantly killed, the last female is currently captured. The pack remains unharmed."

A furrow formed between my brows at his words, a silent question hung in the air. Felix knew all too well the consequences of trespassing, let alone sparing a Rogue.

Especially, during an unprovoked attack on my territory.

"Do I want to know why a Rogue was spared?" I questioned, my voice tight with controlled anger.