Chapter: 41

N A T A L I A

A few days later, Callum and I found ourselves at the pack house amidst the flurry of preparations for potential attacks.

The heightened borders and Callum's constant vigilance since learning of my father's survival left me feeling precarious, as if treading on thin ice.

I was torn between nervousness and anger at the prospect of encountering him, unsure if I could withstand the emotional toll of his abandonment.

Rhea remained unaware, consumed by the task of rebuilding Caia. I didn't want to distract her or want her to worry. She had already suffered enough.

Callum had been busy making calls when he finally came and joined me on the sofa in our living room. Swiftly, he pulled me onto his lap.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked, gently brushing a few hair strands from my face.

Wrapping my arms around his neck, I searched his blue eyes before asking, "Why does he want to attack you?"

I couldn't hide the worry in my voice and Callum noticed.

His gaze narrowed at my question.

"I'm not exactly sure," he replied, deepening the frown formed on my face.

"This is all happening because of me," I lamented, my voice barely above a whisper.

Shaking his head, Callum reassured me, tightening his hold around me.

"No, baby. This has nothing to do with you," he said. "The attacks were happening before you."

I bit my lower lip, grappling for a solution to prevent further bloodshed, yet uncertain of how to sway my father's intentions. I didn't know him.

Callum's reassurance drew me back to the present, the words offering comfort and protection.

"Everything is going to be alright," he promised. "I will protect you, and together, we will protect the pack."

With a nod, I leaned closer into him, seeking solace in his embrace.

Callum had quickly become my anchor, my everything. I couldn't imagine life without him, or before him.

Within a mere month, I found myself utterly reliant on his presence.

That evening, Callum guided me upstairs to our bedroom. He was restless, the weight of impending conflict heavy on his mind. We hadn't mated since the loss of our pup and my wolf yearned for his.

Once in bed, I took charge and straddled Callum's waist in the dim light. I was wearing night shorts and a cropped singlet, and he was in shorts.

His arms instantly encircled me, drawing me closer as desire ignited between us.

"You're irresistible," he murmured, his gaze locking onto mine.

I smiled against his lips, before whispering, "Good, then you shouldn't have a hard time taking me."

Before he could respond, I leaned in to him and captured his lips in mine. The exchange soon became a passionate one, eliciting mutual moans and caresses.