Chapter: 40

N A T A L I A

Callum didn't object when I accompanied him as we descended the stairs to the prison grounds, where Chelsea was captured.

To my wolf's satisfaction, the blonde appeared badly beaten, her face marred with bruises. There was no sign of John, her supposed mate.

"Where is John?" Callum asked.

A member of the pack, whom I had seen with Callum on a few occasions but didn't know the name of, cleared his throat as he came to stand closer to my mate.

"John...," he said hesitantly. "He's dead."

At the words, the blonde whimpered from the confines of the cell, while Callum narrowed his eyes. He was contemplating the truth of the statement.

"In that case, kill her," he finally directed, gesturing toward Chelsea.

The blonde didn't even react to the command, only laid on the ground weeping silently. She looked completely and utterly wrecked.

I almost felt pity for her, but my wolf quickly reminded me of her past actions, how she had boasted about pleasing our mate.

As Callum took hold of my hand to lead us out of the underground prison, I halted him. He turned to me with a raised brow.

I was surprised myself that I was willing to engage with the blonde after everything, but my wolf was itching to hurt her.

"I want to speak with her," I murmured, hoping he wouldn't protest.

Callum glanced at the blonde briefly, then back at me, wearing a puzzled expression.

"You should be resting," he reminded me, concern lacing his voice. "She isn't deserving of your attention."

I smiled reassuringly at him, using my hand to cup his face, gently rubbing my thumb over his clenched jaw.

"I'll only be a minute," I assured him. "There's something I need to do."

Callum narrowed his eyes before giving me a single nod. Wrapping his arm around my waist, he drew me closer.

"I'll be outside," he informed me before placing a kiss on my head. "My men are awaiting my instructions. If you need me, I'll be here in two seconds flat."

I nodded and watched him depart before turning my attention on the blonde.

Immediately, my wolf surged forward, eager to take control from the guards who were currently opening the cell gate to retrieve the blonde, ready to kill her.

Approaching them, I commanded them to stop. The two men hesitated before complying with a curt nod and stepped aside, curious to know what I was going to do.

"Things could have unfolded differently for you," I told Chelsea, my gaze piercing as she scoffed in return.

"What do you know?" she retorted, wincing visibly in pain.

"I know that you're dying today," I countered.

My words elicited a snarl from her in response. "Trust me, I would rather die."