{Chapter 1} One Second

Jake was waiting in the living room for Hailey to arrive. School let out an hour ago and his mom was just cleaning the kitchen.

"Hey Jake? Who's coming over?" She called.

He turned his head away from the tv. "Uh, Hailey. We're going to work on a new song."

"Oh that polite girl that you sang with. She's really talented, could make a good girlfriend." She winked with a glint in her eye.

Jake rolled his eyes, "Mom you know I..like...Daisy." His voice trailed off at the end.

He then thought about Hailey for a while, the way she talked and got excited about anyone's accomplishments. And how pretty she was, like really pretty.

"Jake!?" His mother called regaining his attention.

"Sorry mom. What was it?" He asked fidgeting with his fingers.

"I was going to ask you to help with the dishes but it's clear to see you're thinking about her." She sighed, he felt his face heat up a little.

"It's not like that." He huffed,

It was her turn to roll her eyes now. "Sure, now come help."

————————————————————

Hailey was getting things together in her room. Notebook? Check. Pencils? Check. Hair ties? Check. Bag? Check. Her thoughts were interrupted by someone entering into her room.

"Where are you going?" Zander asked opening her door. Hailey was putting the things away in her bag.

"I'm going to Jake's, we need to start on the song. You wanna come?" She asked zipping the bag up.

"Can Luke?" He asked, Hailey laughed. Of course he would ask that.

"Let me send him a text." She quickly brought out her phone and texted him. "Okay he's chill with it, he also asked if we wanted to stay for dinner."

"Yeah, let me call Luke, I know he isn't busy." Zander grinned, she was surprised that Zander wasn't throwing a fit about Jake for once.

He walked out and into his room to let Luke know. Hailey smiled and brought all her things down stairs. "Mum, dad, me and Zander are going over to Jake's house. We're going to stay for dinner."

"Okay, is Jake's mom okay with it?" Shannon asked while Micheal helped Bethany with something.

"I think so, he said he already Let her know." Hailey said as Zander walked down the stairs.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Ready, let's walk to Luke's place first so we can get him." She replied before they both said bye to their parents.

————————————————————

"Can we get take out cause guests are coming?" Milo had asked while him and his mom were cleaning.

She shook her head, "No, I'm cooking something nice tonight."

Just as she said that the doorbell rang. Milo raced to open it before Jake could come downstairs.

"Why welcome to my humble abode." Milo greeted to the trio. They all looked at each other holding back fits of laughter.

Jake saw this and cringed, "Hey Milo, I hear your friends on call upstairs. One of them stole some of your diamonds-". And just like that Milo sped off to his room.

Jake turned to the three and sighed, "Sorry about him, we can all just go up to my room until my mom is done with dinner."

"Okay sounds good." Hailey grinned at him. The group then made their way to his room which was surprisingly clean.

"Wow." Zander had said in awe. Luke chuckled and Jake looked at them puzzled, "What?"

"It's clean, we're just surprised." Hailey smiled earning a pout from him,

"I'm highly offended." Jake said dramatically.

Jake and Hailey spent the next two hours on his bed working on the song while Luke and Zander sat on some bean bags and talked. Hailey's back was against the bed frame and Jake laid on his back upside down next to her.

"Okay so what do you think?" She asked him, he answered.

"I think it'll be amazing." She grinned at his goofy face he was smiling wide, she then began realizing how cute the boy actually was.

Her thoughts had made her blush a little but then a dog jumped on the bed interrupting her thoughts and started licking his face.

"Gah! Oreo!" Jake laughed wrestling with the dog.

Zander and Luke looked up at them, "You have a dog?!"

"Yeah, this is Oreo. I guess Milo had him in his room for a while so that's why you guys didn't get to see him yet." Jake said as Oreo came over to the two boys who happily gave him love and attention.

"He's adorable." Hailey had said, Jake turned to her and winked, "Aw thanks." It made her eyes roll as she smiled.

About 10 minutes later Milo walked into the room. "Hey mom said food was done." He walked out and the teenagers followed.

His mother had talked to them throughout the delicious meal. "So how often do you practice?"

"About an hour day, but it honestly feels like one second." Hailey sighed wishing they had more time.

It was clear she was worried about the festival. Jake noticed and took her hand under the table and gave reassuring squeezes and rubs. The gesture caused Hailey to blush but she returned the actions as a thank you.

They made eye contact and gave each other small smiles, little did they know his mother noticed the small actions and the looks in their eyes. She grinned but decided to leave it.

"Mum is coming to pick us up." Zander said petting Jake's dog while they sat in the living room.

"Okay, Luke are you staying the night?" Hailey asked and he nodded.

"How many days do we got till the festival?" Jake asked looking at them. "Well including today, we have 24." She replied looking at him. They locked eye contact for a while before Zander spoke.

"Mums here, bye Jake."

Him and Hailey both snapped out of their trance of looking into each other's eyes. "Ah, okay, I'll walk you guys out." Jake answered and they all made their way over to the door.

"Bye kids!" His mother yelled from the kitchen.

"Bye Ms. Sterling, thank you for having us." Hailey smiled and his mom turned to him mouthing, "I like this girl." He rolled his eyes as a blush crept up his face.

Zander and Luke walked out to the car while Hailey hung back and gave him a long hug.

"Bye princess." He smirked after the hug ended.

"Shut up." She said in a playful annoyance before getting into the car.

Shannon rolled down the window, "Tell your mom I said hi Jake!"

"Okay I will!" He replied and watched them drive off.