Chapter 16

NATHAN

"Do you want something to eat?", I ask her.

We didn't make it far away, only two cities further. At least we found a hotel that took us for tonight. Given the prix, every hotel was fully booked, however, they weren't fully booked anymore as they saw the person they would accommodate is royalty. We found a hotel in a nice neighbourhood, that wouldn't be far away from where we have to go tomorrow.

Given the fact they are fully booked, we only got a room with one bed. I told them it wouldn't be a problem, since I'd take the couch. Livie hasn't said anything since I found her next to that car.

"I'm fine", she answers. I try hard not to show that I froze. This is the first time I heard her say something apart from my name ever since I found her.

"I could go buy something. I'd be back in a few minutes", I insist. She hasn't eaten anything.

She just shakes her head. "I usually don't eat anyway", she mutters. I start getting a bit more alarmed at that, but I don't push the subject. She's already been through enough for one night.

She still hasn't told me what happened.

"Should I bring you some water?", I continue.

Livie shakes her head and wants to sink on the bed. It's then she notices it is only one.

"Where will you sleep?", she asks.

I point with my head at the couch. She lets out a curse. "It's fine, you take the bed", she replies. "You've carried me so far."

I start shaking my head.

"Nathan, take the fucking bed", she lets out, clearly not in the mood for talking.

"You take the bed, Livie", I counter.

She sighs exhausted and is one step away from throwing herself on the bed, as she lets out a scream.

I immediately run next to her. She's staring at the mirror on the wall, looking at herself. At how her face is covered in blood, her knees and a few strands of her hair too. Of how her dress is a bit ripped and stained.

She looks at herself and starts crying.

"I look like a monster", she whispers, touching her wound with her fingers.

"You don't look like a monster", I reply. "You're the most beautiful girl I have ever seen."

Livie turns to look at me with an eyebrow raised. She doesn't believe me. "You're only saying that. I am covered in blood."

I take her hand, and she seems to flinch once. It's then I want to let go. She doesn't react. I force myself not to take a deep breath and make her see how nervous I am. "Let's get you cleaned up", I whisper.

Without commenting, she already heads inside the bathroom. I follow her and can already find her sitting on the floor. I take some tissues and put some water on them, then I sink on the floor next to her, and slowly come closer. I gently press the tissues on her face, and she gasps, reaching for my hand.

"I'm sorry", I whisper. I don't know how I managed to say those words without shaking. Her face is so close to mine. So close.

She only stares at me, letting go of my hand, a sign I should continue. None of us says anything else as I press the tissues on her cheek. She just keeps staring at me, I try not to meet her eyes, knowing what effect they have on me. What effect they always had on me.

"Nathan", Livie says. We're playing hide and seek in the garden of her house. I know I should act though as a seven-year-old, but I can't help but cry. I wanted to hide behind a tree as I stumbled over a rock and fell. There is blood rolling down my knee and all I can feel is the hurt.