18.

Today at school Bri told me about a party that we are invited to because of Cal and Daniel. They are allowed to bring one person with them and they chose us so she told me to be prepared for Friday night. But today is Wednesday so I've got enough time to be prepared for it. Hopefully. Cal and I got our weekly salary a few days back and it was awesome. I might be buying a book for myself today. I asked Bri if Daniel asked her out yet, she said no but told me that he might be on to something. He was asking her a tons-of-questions like her favourite restaurant and her favourite flower, etcetera.

At work, I started strolling through the bookstore like I am a customer myself to decide which book I should buy for myself. But before I could decide I heard some customers making their way inside. I quickly make my way to the counter and watch Cal organize a few bookshelves. A strand of his hair had come to his forehead and he pushed his hair back with his hand. He turns around and gives me a small smile. I return the smile and start focusing on my work.

It is already dark outside and we're close to closing time so I might as well quickly decide what book I need to buy for myself. As the customers left I turn around to make my way to the romance genre that I run into Cal. I try to regain my balance as Cal holds me by my waist and helps me stand properly on my feet.

"I am sorry, I didn't see you there." I said as I fixed my shirt.

"It's okay, I wanted to actually give you this." He extends his hand and I see that he is holding a book. I look at it and my mouth stay open in surprise.

He laughs, "You wanted to buy a book so I thought I gift you one as well. I have actually read it already and since you like romance genre I thought you'll like it too. I hope you do it's really good. I don't want to undersell it by saying good but I also don't want to oversell it by saying it is extraordinary but I think you'll enjoy it an-"

I cut him off, "I love it. Thank you so much. Oh my god, Cal, you really didn't have to do this but thank you so much. This is so sweet."

This is extremely sweet. I think I'll get a tooth ache. I look at him and he seems so nervous and his eyes are glistening.

"You don't have to thank me. I just wanted to gift it to you." He gives me a crooked smile and his dimple pops up.

"You are really thoughtful, thank you. And the fact that you are into romance genre as well makes this a thousand times more special." He chuckles and says, "It is a good genre."

"The best." I smile.

I look outside and see that it has gotten dark. "We should close the shop now. It has gotten really dark."

"Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Come on."

We turn off the lights and close the shop and as I start to wave Cal bye, he starts walking in the same direction as me.

"What happened?" I ask.

"It's really dark so there is no way I am letting you walk alone." His concern makes my stomach flip.

"You really don't have to. I will get home in one piece." I try to assure him but he just keeps walking and says, "Yes, you will get home in one piece and I will make sure of that."

I know he is not going to let me walk alone at night so I accept it and keep walking with him. His hands are in his pockets and the wind is blowing his hair a bit. It is surprisingly a bit cold today. We walk in silence, neither of us trying to initiate a conversation. I am holding a book in one hand which he gave me and looking at it makes my heart skip beats. I always say that one of the best gifts that someone can give me is a book. And he gave me just that. The best gift ever.