3.

I woke up from my 6 hours of sleep and saw that it was dark outside. It's way past dinner time and I am assuming that mom must have kept some food for me in the fridge. I got up from my bed and I could actually feel the emptiness in my stomach because I haven't eaten anything since morning. I made my way downstairs and it was completely dark. I switched on the light of the kitchen and opened the fridge to find nothing inside except for some bottles of water, butter, cheese and some vegetables. I opened the pantry and found a packet of ramen and decided to make some for myself.

The dark outside looked so tempting. It would be quite fun to go outside. It would be better if I get hit by a truck but a walk does not sound so bad right now. I ate my ramen while scrolling through my phone. There was a text from Brianna telling me that she loves me and reminding me to eat something. I could not have asked for a better friend. She is an angel. I am not even exaggerating. I finished my bowl of ramen and washed the dishes.

I walked outside the kitchen and caught a glimpse of my father sleeping on the couch. I could see the permanent frown on his face. I can't remember when was the last time I actually heard him laugh. Genuinely laugh.

I made my way to my room and changed into another t-shirt and pjs. I put on my sport shoes and with that I silently exited the house.

Wow! Why have I never done this before? I guess these are the grounds of getting murdered or kidnapped but the area that we live in is relatively safe. So, I should not be worried. I remembered I didn't text back to Brianna and quickly sent her a reply.

She immediately hit back with, 'What are you doing rn?'

'Walking.' I hit sent with a gif of an old man walking down the street.

'Where??????????????????????' I could sense her anxiety shooting up.

I sent her a pic of the dark sky and the streets.

'Send me the address.' I could listen to her commanding tone.

'Literally 5 minutes away from your house. Near the grump's house.' The grumps. It is a family of eight. Equal ratio of male and females and they have a big problem with the outside world.

They don't like kids playing on the streets or constructors doing their job, or people mowing their lawns or people celebrating Halloween or Christmas saying it is a waste of time and another reason for teenagers to get high. Well...whatever suits them. Who am I to judge?

I could see a shadow appearing in my sight and it was no one other than my knight in the shining armor, Brianna.

She did a little run to reach me and got right at my face and said, "Have you lost your mind?"

"Maybe?" I gave her an awkward smile.

"Paige, you could have been murdered or kidnapped. Or who knows, maybe those grumps would have made you a part of their grumpy cult?" I laughed at her imagination but I could see on her face that she was serious.

"I am sorry, Bri, it's just that I had a crappy day and just wanted to release some tension."

"There are other more pleasurable means of releasing your tension, you could have easily tried that." She whispered loudly trying to make a point.

"Yeah, I don't want to do that." I wrinkled my nose.

She took in a deep breath trying to calm herself down. She did these three more times and then looked at me more gently.

"What happened?" She asked and we both with mutual understanding started walking.

I stayed quiet for a minute and then said, "My parents fought again. And they were screaming how they regret marrying each other and my mom screamed how it was his idea to have a child so it is his responsibility to keep me. My father said I am not only his problem. And you can figure out the rest."