7: Just a guy

Not edited:

For once we are starting off somewhere different. Meemaws. Georgie, Missy and i are gonna be helping her set up her garage sale and right now we are at stage one. Packing the stuff into boxes to them set up on the tables.

"All right, as soon as i get these tables set up on the lawn, ya'll can start bringing that stuff out" Meemaw said explaining the plan for the seventh time in ten minutes.

I was putting a few books in a box when Georgie picked up a lamp from a table in front of me and looked at the price tag.

"You think you're gonna get ten bucks for this piece of junk?" Georgie asked.

"Hey, that piece of junk is a wedding gift from my cheap-ass cousin Betty" Meemaw said "Andi was gonna leave a little room to haggle"

"Whats a haggle?" Missy said walking over to the lamp when Georgie put it down and looked at it.

"Negotiating. You start high, they offer you less, you meet somewhere in the middle" Meemaw said. "Leaves them feeling like, you know, they got a deal"

"Did they?" Missy asked.

"Not if you did it right" Meemaw said.

"How much are we getting paid today?" Georgie asked.

"You're not getting paid squat" Meemaw said "You're helping out your meemaw"

"That doent seem fair" Missy said, picking up a doll with red hair.

"Yea, we should get something" Georgie said.

"Fine" Meemaw said "How much you want?"

"Five dollars" Missy said.

"Each" Georgie whispered in her ear.

"Each" Missy added.

"Thats pretty steep" Meemaw said. "How about i give you a buck apiece?"

Missy quickly shook her head at us.

"Lets meet in the middle, three dollars each" i said.

"Now we're haggling" Meemaw said. "Let me ask you something. If you break something today, are you prepared to cover the cost of that?"

"No" we all said at the same time.

"Hm. Well, were gonna have to factor that in" Meemaw said. "And did you bring your own lunch?"

"You said we were getting pizza" Georgie said.

"Well, i did, but pizza ain't free" Meemaw said. "And I'm teaching you about negotiating, which is a pretty valuable life lesson, right?"

"Yea" me and missy said at the same time while Georgie said-

"I guess so"

"So, if my math is right, you owe me, two dollars each" Meemaw said.

"We owe you?" Georgie asked.

Meemaw ripped the paper off her note book and showed us what she had been writing down.

"The numbers dont lie" Meemaw said

Georgie took the paper and me and Missy leaned over his shoulder to look.

"Damn it, she's right" i said.

"All right, listen" Meemaw said and we all pulled our attention to her. "I love ya, and you're family's, so if you do it for nothing, we'll call it even"

"Take it, take it, take it" Missy said quickly.

"You got yourself a deal" Georgie said.

"Y'all drive a hard bargain" Meemaw said "now start bringing that crap outside"

Then she walked off and i turned to the others.

"We got haggled, didnt we?" i said.

"Why do you think she was grinning?" Georgie said and i nodded.

After we finally finished setting up the rest of the group came over and we all began to sell everything. Well, me, Milly, and Lacey were, Georgie and the boys were mucking around.

"Wow, look at these shoes" Riley said putting on shoes that were a lot bigger then his feet.

"Riley, take those off" Lacey said.

"Yea, i wanna try them on!" Scott said and put a coat on that was big on him and went up to his knees. "Check it out, practically fits"

"Yea, if you werent so short you would fit" Milly said snickering to herself.

"I'm taller than you" Scott said.

"Never said you werent, but, your still short" Milly said.

"Quit talking about height and look at this" Georgie said and the boys went over to him.

"Do you guys ever feel like were babysitting when were with them?" Milly asked.

"Most of the time" i said.

"No, not really. Plus, i think its cute that Riley is so childish" Lacey said blushing a bit and looking at her boyfriend.

"You two are so cute together" i said and she smiled even more.

"Hey, are you the person running this?" a voice said and we all looked away from Lacey to see a .

"Uh, I'm not running it, but i can help you with what you need" i said looking at my clipboard then him.

"I was wondering if i could buy this jacket" he said holding up a blue jacket.

"Uh, yea, thats..... seven dollars" i said and he gave me a crooked smile before getting out the money. "Here"

"Thank you, enjoy the jacket" i said.

"I will" he said. I checked off the jacket on the list of items and looked up to see him still there. "I have two more questions"

"Ok" i said.

"Whats you name?" he asked.

"May" i said.

"I'm Eric"

"Whats the second question"

"Whats your number?" he asked and before i could tell him to buzz off Lacey stepped in.

"043342322" Lacey said and gave her a look.

"Mine is 045563948" he said.

"Great, well, have a nice day" Lacey said.

He smiled at me again before walking off.

"Who was that?" Georgie asked appearing right next to me which made me jump.

"Uh, a guy called Eric" i said shrugging.

"Just a 'guy'? What type of 'guy'? have you seen this 'guy' before?" Georgie asked and i shook my head.

"No, he must be new in town" i said.

"I know this is a bad time, but, um, heres his number" Lacey said handing me a piece of paper. I took it from her and saw Georgie glaring at the paper in my hand. What is up with this guy?

Words: 1,017

Pages: 2.7