(38) You Belong With Me

"If you could see I'm the one who understands you.
Been here all along, so why can't you see?
You belong with me."
-Taylor Swift

The rest of the break was rather enjoyable despite getting my heart broken. I hung out with Cato the whole time and showed him around my hometown which I think he really liked because of how different it is from LA.

"I wish I grew up away from the fame," he commented as we walked on the snowy downtown sidewalk. It was our last day of being in town before heading back to LA.

"It's nice... until people take advantage of you when they find out about your claim-to-fame," I bit.

He wrapped a comforting arm around my shoulders. "Don't let him tear you down, Ains."

I sighed and leaned into his embrace, not giving a damn about who saw us at this point. Cato is an amazing guy. He has really proved that to me, and if things are to grow for us, I would not mind at all.

"So have you talked to any of your friends?" he questioned.

"Not really..." I mumbled. Considering I made most of my 'friends' this year, it's likely their intentions were the same as Ryder's: to befriend me because of my dad.

He gave me a sympathetic look while opening the car door for me. "Just know I'm here for you," he said.

"Thanks," I replied as I sunk into his embrace for a hug.

-

Things in LA still had not improved. Cato and I had been back for a week and it was absolutely horrible. I'm not sure if I would rather be here or back in my hometown.

Anyways, we were set to head to the state championship game today. The school was a total buzz as everyone was so excited.

"Are you excited?" I asked Cato as we left English.

"Yep. We all are. This team will be tough, but we have what it takes," he said confidently.

I smiled up at him and adjusted the books which I held in my arms. "Well, good luck. I'll be on the sidelines."

"Perfect. Our chances of winning just increased," he said with a smile.

And so, that night, I was back on the sidelines for what would be the final time this year. The crowd was going wild as the two teams took the field.

"Ready?" I asked Cato as he found a place beside me.

"Yep. Anything I need to know?"

"Not really. This team is tough, but we have the best ranked offense in the state. Just watch out for some of their linebackers because they are big."

He smiled and put his helmet on. "Sounds good. I'll see you in a few, Ains."

Not too long later, Cato ran off the field as the crowd cheered and pulled me in for a big hug because he just got us a touchdown!

"Couldn't have done it without you, pretty."

"You're right," I giggled after pulling myself out of the hug so I could watch the game.

All the way up until the second half, the game was back and forth the whole time. So when the fourth quarter had rolled around, tensions were running high.

"Play how you know how to play. If you do that, this quarter will be a breeze," I said to Cato before he ran onto the field.

He nodded, and I could tell he was nervous.

"You can do it. Just watch their linebacker, number 37, because he's fast and strong."

"Okay... thank you."

I smiled at him as he stepped onto the field and jogged over to his position.

The crowd seemed to go silent as Cato barked the play to his team and then received the ball from the snap.

He juked around a defender and sent an impressive throw down the field, and right into the safety of a teammate's hands. Cheers erupted from the stadium.

"Amazing, C. Keep doing that. You're in touchdown range."

And just a few moments later, we got a touchdown. Cato made it look effortless and jogged off the field with a big smile.

"I'm impressed," I said with a smile as he gave me a big hug.

"Doing this for you."

"Awe, am I your motivation?" I teased.

He smiled and nodded. "Of course you are."

And moments later, the opposing team's quarterback threw an interception, which made our crowd go wild. Cato quickly put his helmet back on because if they can score, we will have widened the gap in the score enough for us to win.

"Play it safe, but don't hold back either. I want you to hand the ball off after faking a throw down field. If that doesn't work out, run," I said as he took his spot in the huddle.

When the guys took their positions, I held my breath, and soon enough, the ball was hiked. Cato listened to my idea as he faked a throw, but then handed it off to his receiver. The other team was caught off guard, and had trouble bringing down our player. However, they tackled him on the 30 yard line.

We spent three downs on that line, and everyone was getting nervous because we had not advanced.

The coaches were talking about sending in the kicker for a three-point field goal.

"I think we should let Cato go for it. He has the arm, so he can easily make the throw. The running plays aren't working, so we need to pass," I explained.

"It's risky, but our defense is strong enough to hold up the opposing offense if it doesn't work. Ainsley, tell Cato the plan," said the Beverly head coach.

I smiled and put my head set onto my head. "C, do a passing play. Maybe Blue Buffalo Two," I said. That was a play intended for a long pass.

"And I know it's risky, but try for me," I added on before the mic cut out.

A moment later, the ball was snapped into Cato's hands and he started to run from the opposing team's defense. One of the receivers ran into the end zone and was without a defender in sight.

My breath hitched as a defender began to sprint at Cato, but before he was brought down, he made an incredibly impressive throw right into the arms of his intended receiver, who ran it into the end zone.

I clasped a hand over my mouth as the Beverly fan section burst into cheers. Cato ran off the field and scooped me up into his arms.

"Cato! That was incredible!" I cried.

"All for you, too," he said with a wide smile as our kicker gained an extra point, and the other team prepared for their turn to run the ball. However, it was basically a win for us because the score was so wide and there was hardly any time left.

Cato had to take the field one final time after the opposing team failed to score. He was only there for about five seconds because the clock buzzed, signaling the game was over and that Beverley is the state champion.

A crowd rushed onto the field, but Cato was by my side in seconds. He threw his helmet off and cupped my face.

"C, that was incredible!"

He smiled and closed the gap between us. "Did it for you, babe."

I felt my cheeks heat up as I lost myself in his eyes. Without thinking, we both shut our eyes and leaned into each other. Our lips found each other and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

My stomach did a flip as he pulled me closer and kissed me sweetly.

However, our kiss was interrupted when a bunch of ice water was dumped on us.

Cato and I laughed and he pulled me in for a hug as we were surrounded by the celebrating team and crowd.