(27) Unstoppable

"Yeah, I win every single game."
-Sia

On Tuesday, the volleyball team was playing for a spot at state. I had opted out of playing but Landen still allowed me to sit on the bench with the team.

Ryder sat across the way in the student section. He insisted on coming even if I was not playing.

As the girls ran onto the court, our student section burst into cheers, and booed when the other team ran onto the court.

However, the room went silent as the other team tossed the ball up to serve. They sent it over and right to Annika... who shanked.

The other student section chanted a mocking cheer before their players took their places on the court once more.

As the set went on, we fell farther and farther behind in points. I cringed as I watched Lianna and Katie miscommunicate, so the ball dropped at their feet.

And when the end of the second set came around, the energy from our team was down. Even the student section was out of it.

"We really need you out there," said Lacey.

"She's right," said Landen.

I glanced up at them and the rest of the team. They were all nodding in agreement.

"No. Absolutely not."

"But Ains, this is for a spot at state! We are so close!" Lacey begged.

I rolled my eyes and stood up because I really did not need any convincing. After seeing how badly they have been playing, it actually motivated me to want to play again.

"Okay, I will," I said with a smile.

Landen smiled and ushered me in the direction of the locker room. "Stretch while you change!" he called out as I ran inside.

When I returned, I came back just in time to take the court. I jogged onto my spot and cheers came from the crowd. I looked at Ryder who was smiling and clapping.

The whistle was then blown and I set up to receive the serve. The ball came right for me and I passed it to Katie, who set it, and then Lacey hit it. The ball slammed right into the ground on the other side of the court.

"Kill! Kill! Kill!" chanted the student section.

For the next few points, we had the serve, but lost it when one of our players touched the net. However, we soon got it back. Not too long later, we reached 25 points and won the set!

"That was awesome! Ainsley, is your knee feeling well enough to continue playing?" asked Landen.

"Yep," I responded.

He nodded and then continued to address the rest of the team.

When the whistle was blown moments later, we took our positions back on the court. The energy from our student section was back up and they were cheering like crazy.

So, the ball was served and the other team played it back over through a tip, which I dove to get. The ball popped right up and my team played it over. We entered a rally, but we came out with a point.

The whole entire set was like that, and the energy in the room was incredibly high and tense.

Although, we came out on top once more. Cheers filled the gym as we ran off the court to prepare for the fifth and final set.

With us and the other team both having two set wins, this fifth set can be anyone's game.

"Girls, play for yourselves. Don't let anyone else get into your head. We are so close, so keep it up," said Landen.