(20) Just the Way You Are

"Just the way you are."
-Bruno Mars

Lacey and Becca had come over a little early before the dinner. Several more people were supposed to be here as I invited a lot of girls on the volleyball team, who were all bringing dates.

"So Ryder is going to the dance?" asked Becca as I put in my earrings.

"I guess so. He said it'll be a fun night and all."

Both Becca and Lacey looked at me with smiles and raised eyebrows.

"Not like that! You two are so dirty minded!"

"Ains, when a guy says something about a special evening, you better be prepared to get some," said Lacey.

"Ugh, stop! That's not his intention! We aren't even dating!"

"Mhm," they said in unison.

"Girls, people are arriving," my mom called from outside my room, which thankfully put a stop to Becca and Lacey bothering me about my relationship with Ryder.

The three of us checked ourselves out in the mirror to make sure everything looked okay, and then we made our way downstairs.

Of course, as we entered the family room, Ryder, Braxton, and Jadyn all stood there.

I felt myself blushing as Ryder approached me with a smile on his face. He wore a black tux and his tie was royal blue, so it matched my dress, but he looked so damn good.

"You look gorgeous," he whispered in my ear as we hugged.

I could hear the clicks of the camera and I knew my mom was taking a million pictures.

Nancy entered the room and gave Ryder a box, which had the corsage inside. Then, she took the spot beside my mom for a photo opt.

"This is so embarrassing," I laughed as Ryder took out the corsage and put it on my wrist.

He smiled and handed me the box which had the boutonnière inside. I pinned it to the side of his tux and the moms took more pictures.

Soon after, everyone else that was invited for dinner had showed up, so we went outside and sat around the table that had been set up for the dinner.  

Ryder pulled out my chair and then took the seat beside me. Then, waiters that had been hired to help with the dinner came out and began to serve the food.

"You guys went all out," Ryder said after a waiter had offered him caviar.

I laughed and sat back in my chair. "It wasn't me. Blame my mom. She loves planning these kind of events."

"Just gives me another reason to love that woman."

I rolled my eyes. "Why don't you ask her to be your homecoming date instead."

"Because I love you, obviously."

As he spoke, the parents came outside. Ryder and I pulled away from each other because we were talking rather closely.

"Thank you for putting together the dinner, Mrs. Sloane," said Mathew flirtatiously.

I turned to Ryder and pointed a finger to the back of my mouth. All he did was laugh and turn to my mom.

"Yes, thank you for putting in all this work for us, Kat," Ryder said.

"Of course, boys!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah, Mrs. Sloane, and must I say, you look lovely tonight," added Jackson.

Why they were all so obsessed with my mom, who knows, but the second my dad walked over and wrapped an arm around her waist, they went right back to eating their food and minding their own business.