7-Chapter 2

Camilla's POV

~~~~

I was terrified. I knew being in my family, and my line of work often put myself in the line of fire but I didn't ever think it would be literally. I didn't think it would be so soon at least. But that wasn't down to the fact I worked at the hospital, it was because of my name. My family name.

The tears currently spilling down my face showed no remorse as the woman, I was sure I had seen before, drove away from the scene. I knew all the roads we had been down, and tried to grasp on to them knowing that it would bring me back to my sanity, or at least hoping it would. I had just watched her nearly kill someone in front of me. But she helped me, she's driving me away from what could possibly be one of the worst moments of my life, which I'm thankful for because I clearly couldn't manage it myself.

~~~~

Charlie's POV

Before we arrived at my home, I heard a sob next to me, I weakened my hold on the leather steering wheel and offered her the only possible way I could console her whilst I was driving. It was understandable that she had no control over the emotions that engulfed her. Two minutes later we made it through all the gates and I jumped out the car, my legs rushing around faster than my body to open her door.

"Miss, can you come with me?" she offered a slight response, which I could only really take as a yes considering I was her best option at the minute. Her hand unconsciously held onto mine as I pulled her from the seat that seemed to hold on to her for dear life. I closed the car door once she was stood, locking it and turning back to her.

"Camilla." Her head shot up at the call of her name.

"H-how d-d-do you know my n-name?"She struggled out in fright, moving away from me slightly and putting her hands out to keep me at arms length.

"It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you." I replied, trying to ease her nerves. An 'it's okay' never worked on me and my nerves, it hardly worked on anyone when in a conflicted state of mind, because hearing the words and processing them were miles apart from one another.

"Where are we?" She asked, trying to make herself more aware.

"The safest place I know." I said softly, which she seemed to take sincerely as she clung back onto me. She was effected by this worse than I thought she would be. After all, she came from a family that fought against violence, making them their own, biggest, most dangerous threat. I though she'd at least be a little expecting of something so brutal, but when it's aimed at her I guess this is the only reaction I can expect.

She seemed to want comfort, maybe to feel protected or block out what had just happened, but I couldn't offer her that until we were inside the house and I knew that she was definitely safe. But I also had to be careful because of my place, I wasn't here to offer her a shoulder to cry on, I was here to keep her from getting killed. She needed comfort, and I could only provide so much before it obliterated my contract. I had never before crossed the line between employer and employee. I made my way into my house, slowly with Miss Henderson, and was greeted by my father.

"What are you doing here?" He spoke with such distain it made Camilla flinch. He looked towards her and his eyebrows furrowed. I glared at him as he dared to violate the line, he thought this was something much more than who I was protecting. A possible fling maybe? That's what was running through his mind, I'm sure of it. His steps were quiet, almost too delicate for a man of his nature, but loud enough so you could tell that he was in control here, he lead whatever was going to happen next.

"Camilla, what are you doing here darling?" He spoke up, opening his arms from being folded to more open, more accepting. He did always talk about Camilla more than I expect he would about me to other people. He often gushed about her achievements at the hospital and her successful craniotomy, that she seemed to do on a weekly basis if you were to count how many times the conversation was brought up. He did seem to favour her more. But wasn't that normal for his best friend's daughter, he kind of had to adore her for the sake of the bond between Mr Henderson and him. Mr Henderson adored me. I suppose it was only the same thing.