16. Stronger

Jen POV

I somehow fell asleep after all that happened yesterday. My mind played back the event and enhanced the last part. I felt empty, alone and sad. The last time I felt lile this was when I got forced to be marked before I turned 16.

* Flashback *

I sat in my room by the window looking out at the dark garden. It's almost been a year since Nikolai gave me a promise of happiness. My fingers twirled the ring on my finger. So much have changed since then. The trainings at the facility got tougher and they even torture us for practice. I was forbidden to tell Nikolai about it. My back got all scratched up and burned. They said it's supposed to make us stronger.

It's a week left before I turn 16 and I wonder if Nikolai will remember. I haven't seen him much lately because he had bussnies to attend to. He have changed, colder and meaner. He had always been cold and mean but never to me.

I heard knocking on my door.

"Come in."

It was quiet. I sighed and walked to the door and opened. Piotr stood there with his hands behind his back. Piotr is second hand man to Don Dimitri, Nikolais father. Piotr is a scary man. He is tall 6'7 with no hair and a scar that reached across his cheek to his mouth.

"Follow me." He comanded.

I knew I had no choice. Piotr words come from the Don directly. I followed him through the estate and walked down the stairs to the basement. I felt shivers go through my body as the place felt eerie. We stopped at the last cell when I heard voices inside, one particular that made me feel happy. Nikolai. The door opened revealing Nikolai, Don Dimitri, Miri(Nikolai sister) and Ivan(Nikolai bestfriend).

I stepped in carefully bowing my head slightly at the don to which he noded back. My eyes searches for comfort in Nikolai's but he just looked at me with empty eyes.

Suddenly I was grabbed by Piotr and Ivan where they strapped me to a table. Tying my hands and legs to each corner of the table.

I yelped in surprise.
"Wha-what's happening?" I looked around but nobody answered

"Nik! Nik! What's going on?" I looked at him with pleading eyes and still he just looked at me with no emotions.

"Do you pleadge your loyalty to the Ivankovs?" Piotr asked me from the side.

"Wha-?" I didn't get to finish when I got smacked on my cheek so hard that it felt as if my jaw got broken. The metallic blood taste flowed in my mouth and I could already feel my cheek swell up.

"DO YOU PLEDGE YOUR LOYALTY?!" He raised his voice again making me cower.

"Yes." I whispered.

It got silent. What were they waiting for? I looked around the dimlit room and nobody made a move. It was deadly silent.

A sudden shock of pain coursed through me from my ankle when I felt fire on my ankle.
Screaming I looked down and saw them branding me with a stick. You could smell the burnt flesh and hear the sizzle from the impact.

Screamimg for them to stop while tossing and turning still no one said a word. Then Piotr stopped and took the burning rod away.
I was bawling my eyes out, the pain still going through my body like fire. One by one started to leave and Nikolai was last. He just stood in the corner watching me.

Even through all this I felt relief and comfort with him just beeing close. He was going to get me out of here. Or so I thought.

He just turned around and left me there alone, in that room, screaming for him to come back.