18 | Wretched Hearts

Ship Wrecked

Chapter 18• Wretched Hearts

Recap: " 'True love's kiss" Mal planted a soft kiss onto Ben's lips, breakin' the spell once and for all with the oldest cliche trick in the book. "

"Give it to me!"

Caught off guard, Uma dodged me cutlass towards Fairy Godmother whose hands possessed the wand. I quickly darted towards her, creatin' a barrier between Fairy Godmother and Uma before she could reach for it. Uma huffed out in annoyance, startled by the sound of the guards ordered to seize her, and headed towards the edge of the boat.

One hand on the ledge, and the other holdin' on to a pole, as though she was going to jump.

"Uma, no!" I cried out, runnin' towards her as everyone else followed.

"Uma, I know you!" Mal pleaded as the crowd circled around Uma whose eyes were wide with desperation. I shoved me cutlass back into its holster, holdin' out me hand out for me sister, "Please, Uma, don't do this."

"Do not let your pride get in the way of something that you really want," Uma looked between Mal and Ben, before a strange glow emitted from her necklace. It was a gold-crested shell, given to her by our mother. Uma looked down, and quickly made her decision.

The shell echoed out a noise, similar to echolocation, as Uma spun around onto the ledge, 'nd jumped.

"Uma no!" I ran to the edge of the boat just as she hit the water. The people were in disbelief, shocked by the event of this girl jumpin' into the ocean. Concerned for her safety. No one knew the real danger.

The water was still for a moment, and then a light gold glow emitted from the depths.

"We have to leave," I urged Mal's and Ben's shoulders as they continued starin' at the one spot.

Ben looked at me in shock, "That's your sister! We can't just leave her here!"

Me face stern with concern, "Ye don't understand. Uma will be fine, it's us that I'm more concerned about," I stated, just as the surface of the ocean began to bubble. "We're too late."

Me hands drew me cutlass, ready to strike when needed. The ocean began to twirl, creating a hurricane-like cloud stretchin' past the boat's tallest sail. It burst out with a bang, splashin' everyone, includin' meself, with a harsh hit of water. Uma's bellowed laugh echoed, creatin' strong winds that shook the boat. Carlos came to me side, helpin' me up from the rush that hit us all. A sharp pain etched on me side. "Are you okay?" He asked me, holdin' onto me shoulder to check for injuries. His eyes immediately darted towards me hip, noticin' the slight shift of weight to one leg. He began saying somethin' that I couldn't quite hear as me attention spiraled towards me sister.

She was the spittin' image of our mother.

"True love kiss can't defeat this! The world will know my name!" Uma screeched out. She lifted back one of her tentacles, swingin' it towards our direction.

"Watch out!" I screamed, grabbin' onto Carlos and forcin' him to fall to the ground with me as the tentacle whipped in the air above us. She struck a second time, towards Mal and Ben who had to quickly pull back to avoid gettin' hit.

A sudden rage filled Mal as she walked back, away from any people. 'Er eyes glowin' green like envious emeralds steamed in green fire. I've only ever seen her get like this a few times, usually around her mother, but this seems different. I held on tightly onto Carlos hand, and the other tightly around me cutlass.