1

"alright guys, this is the last project you'll be doing in high school" Mr. Roberts said from the front of the class.

" We have other classes you know" someone hollered and the room erupted in chuckles.

" Very funny but this will be the longest running project, you have exactly three months to get this done. Right in time for graduation. This is worth a big percentage of your grade so don't mess this up. This is to be done with a partner which i have so graciously picked for each and every one of you"

Groans could be heard around the class as Mr. Roberts grinned and continued.

" I'm gonna call out your partners now so listen closely, mckenna and brody, hailey and holden, chase and lisa, Sheryl and Lucy, Brandon and Marcus and Gia and Charlie" he read off the paper in his hand.

Charlie?
As in Charlie Gray?

I raised my hand slowly getting his attention immediately.

" yes Gia " he sighed as if i was bothering him, as if this wasn't his job.

" Sir we haven't seen charlie in weeks, i think I'd be better doing this project alone" i pointed out.

" Regardless of the fact that Charlie is absent, she still manages to maintain her english grade, in fact, i think you could learn a thing or two from her" he said, placing his hands on his hips.

The boys at the back of the class cackled and i felt my cheeks burn with the embarrassment of being publicly humiliated by a teacher.

My grades weren't that bad.
So what i got a couple c's on some tests? That didn't make me the worst student. I'm absolutely certain that both Marcus and brody were failing English.

" Now that that's settled come get the instructions for the project from my desk and you can leave" Mr. Roberts retreated back to his desk to start handing out the papers and i quickly stuffed everything back into my bag grabbed a paper off his desk before hurrying out to the parking lot.

How was i supposed to do a project with someone i hadn't seen in over a month?

I wanted to scream from the unfairness of the situation but instead opted to mumble under my breath the entire drive home.