Prologue/Chapter One

Jasrah's POV
I watched as the rain dropped on the leaves outside from the window. The weather lately has been a bit strange.

The fireplace glowing and being warm as ever. I heaved a sigh. "Nothing is going to change". I said.

  Growing up in Kaduna with my step mom and her daughter wasn't as pleasant as one could imagine. My mom passed away while giving birth to me, so i didn't know much about her other than her pictures and stories i got from my dad. She was a beautiful, petite woman with a shoulder length hair, light skinned with the most beautiful smile. I got her skin color but a not so long hair. "Oh mom, why did you leave without giving me a chance to know you". I whispered.

My dad passed away after i graduated from high school. Due to a heart failure. I believed my mom's death took a great effect on him and with Anty being his second wife after his wife's death. She didn't make it easy for the poor man who was forced to marry her. I felt hot tears rolled down my cheeks. "They are in a better place in sha Allah". I told myself.

I was zoned off till i heard movements from the corner of the sitting room which brought me back from my trance of thoughts. There she was, my step mother, Amina who i call Anty. Holding the biggest scowl on her face, looking directly at me.

"Jasrah, don't you have any other thing to do than to fool around everyday?". She scolded, bitterness evident in her tone. I cringed to the high pitched sound of her voice. "I am sorry anty". I apologized not knowing what i did exactly but if there's one thing i know is not to get on Anty's bad side. "Foolish girl". She muttered. "Go get your sister and serve us dinner, it's about time". Anty ordered and with that i hurriedly headed for the stairs. I reached my step sister's room just by the far end of the corridor.

"Here goes nothing". I muttered and heaved a sigh.

Hey lovelies. I hope you guys loved the first chapter. This is my first story and i hope it turns out great. XOXO❤️❤️❤️❤️

Check out my other book "Tears of Loss". I promise it's gonna be nice as this one.