26 - Awaken

🖤Chapter soundtrack🖤

Snow

Her claws dug deep into the tan-gray mud. The scent of sulfur rose with every step. Snow's wolf shifted just as she realized that Five began to see more than he should.

She was taken aback that Five wasn't breathing. Snow needed to wake him, and hands were better at helping people up than paws.

The encounter with the Mad wolf took all her strength and as the water from the dam began to rise, they had no choice but to tread to high ground.

The climb up the mountain drained her. With occasional flashes of memory after her recent kill, she wondered how she survived it. She was nauseous, beyond exhausted and cold.

The rain wasn't on their side.

As the downpour pressed them down even further to the ground, Snow's body, even her wolf, succumbed to the raoring clouds. Her body shifted from trembling jerks to frozen stillness.

As her fur lay submerged beneath forest murk, another flash of memory surfaced.

It was a haze of blood and screams. The memories of the men she killed, flowed like raging water. The waves crashed unforgiving. Pleading eyes faced her. Visions of torn out flesh, wide open screaming mouths, crackles of snapping bones came to into view.

Her wolf yelped, a cry out out into the woods where Five came running after her. His wolf was as dark as the gray clouds above them. Just as he reached her, she felt him shift, a sudden transition of energy lifted from the air.

"The v-visions will pass," he was breathless. The cold made him stutter, "it's easier to handle it, if you shift back."

His lips were closer to her ear, as he begged, "p-please shift."

Snow could hear him clearly. The sound made her eyes bolt open. The resemblance of his voice, the airy rumble with every word reminded her of Torryn. It wasn't just his tone, the way he took a breath before he spoke, nor the roll and slide of his tongue. It was the way he made her feel. And by the sound of his lips, the energy brimming from his skin, he must be the man she married.

As his hand caressed the drenched fur on her back, Snow shifted. Without warning, the ice cold water dripped down her skin. A sharp scream gushed out of her mouth.

Her chest fought the blow of the rain, rising and falling with the waves that her body took it. And no matter how hard she pushed the feeling away, she felt defeated. Her eyes blurred with tears and all emptiness tore out from her chest. Snow's body now trembled giving way to every cry and every desperate plea she kept for so long.

And for a short while she let herself unravel.

Her body felt beaten. Like the drops of rain felt like stones thrown at her, the drops slamming against her flesh. And all of a sudden she couldn't breathe. She didn't fight it rather followed it until she became a frail blossom, waiting to be uprooted from the ground.