13 - Tamed

~~~

Before you start this chapter try listening to this first:

~~~

Snow

"Torryn," his name rolled out like warm butter from her lips.

As she stretched her legs feeling the warm fur brush against her skin, Snow forced her eyes open. Despite the dim room she squinted at the sight of warm light. The salt lamps lining Torryn's bed casted a shadow of her body as she sat. Just as her hips bore the weight, she flinched and grabbed her belly.

A sharp pain pierced the muscles lining her abdomen. Her lungs heaved. Her heart raced as cold sweat emerged on her forehead. She coughed and tears began to well in the inner corners of her eyes when the pain cascaded up her neck and radiated right at her temples.

"God," she pleaded.

She clasped her head in between her palms. She felt her eyes blur, as the colors of the lamps reduced to gray. She slid down back to her bed curling in a ball where she could feel her body pulsate with pain.

As she lay still, the pain on her abdomen eased. Her breath moved a smooth pace.

She felt her shoulders ache. Snow's fingers brushed the red impressions above her clavicles feeling it burn to her touch. Her eyes shot open as she remembered the Reaping.

Snow's last memory was meeting Sophia in the woods and try she did but she failed to remember anything after that.

Did she win? Are her sisters okay? Her body tossed and turned under the covers as pain made her wince.

As she took careful breaths keeping the pain on her stomach to a minimum, her nostrils inhaled the scent of Torryn.

Until now, she could not describe his scent. It made her warm and weightless. As she clung to the thick blanket, she felt the light blue satin of her night gown brush against her hips. It was only then that she realized that she had something on.

The bed made a sudden shift as she felt Torryn's weight bear down the soft surface. She gulped and let her lungs breathe in the scent of pine and morning rain.

"Do you feel better, little bird?"

Snow tried to shift her weight to her hips as she sat. She wanted to take a good look at him. As she pushed her shoulders up, his hands steadied them.

Green and hazel eyes met.

And for a brief moment, Snow caught the flickering light from a silver earing dangling on Torryn's earlobe.

"Since when did you have that?"

Her fingers found the cold skin of his ears as she rubbed the silver metal. The skin of his ears flushed as cleared his throat.