10 - Predator

Snow

She tugged on to the blanket as she shifted against the great couch where she lay. As Snow's eyes remained close, she let herself slip in deep slumber right after she felt her neck adjust to the sharp bends of the furniture. Half-awake and light headed, Snow's breathing eased, her body light with no trace of heaviness on her shoulders. Her chest felt warm as she propped her head against an extended elbow.

That was odd, she felt safe. It was as if she has never left Torryn's chambers. It wasn't the crackling of the firepit nor the soft folds of wool. His bed felt more comfortable. It felt like sleeping on air.

She sniffed and knew the answer. This smell, she thought, Torryn.

Slowly, she felt fingers brush against the strands of her locks. She didn't move, didn't even flinch. She could not bear to see him so she kept her eyes closed shut raising her chest and purposely paced her breathing as if she were in deep sleep.

This way she wouldn't have to pretend that she was okay with this meeting nor pretend that she was okay at all.

She felt his fingers bush her shoulders.

With her night gown so loose, she felt the skin on her chest bare against the cool wind. Though exhausted with her constant trembling, her heart beat fast and strong against her ribs as warmth coursed through her body.

"I miss you." He said.

She heard him chuckle. Confused, she wondered what could be so funny.

"You can defy me all you want and I wouldn't mind."

As his mood lightened, she felt his fingers part from her skin as he sat in silence. Then, Snow feel his lips land a kiss on her forehead.

"Hunt with me." He whispered.

Then without another word, he left.

***

Snow ran to the west wing of Burnwood just as she finished the venison Brida left on the doorstep of the library.

The meat was gamy and rich. Snow recalled as her tongue hungrily licked the fat from the sides of her lips. Remnants of salt and spices coated the surface of her tongue as the pepper made her nose burn. The mashed potatoes eased the sharpness of the salt which made the pureed vegetable all the more sweet. Birda gave her a good helping, three slabs of meat and a bowl of potatoes mashed with sweet curd.

The food bolted energy in her legs as she ran in search for her sisters. She was about to speed her way up the stairs when she bumped into a group of men. They towered above her glancing stares between each other's broad shoulders.

The alpha males.

Magnus Wolfram's gaze so stern and cold landed on Snow. She almost saw it soften as his gaze landed on her. Theodor Everett, Walter Cornan and Kaius Sato's eyes followed.

Prickles shot up Snow's bare skin as she crossed her arms to her chest where a nightgown provided little covering. She bowed her head letting the mess of hair roll down her shoulders. On the cold floor, she saw her naked feet turn red against marble.

In contrast to the yards of fur and leather the hunting gear these men wore, she was but flesh, bones and skin. There was the nightgown too which offered so little warmth ... and covering. But she wasn't about to submit to them cowering within their midst right after what happened at the dinner.

"Gentlemen, welcome to Burnwood. It's been getting warm this morning." Snow said as she fanned a hand on her face. She smiled and kept her other arm where her chest brushed against the night gown. Her hair fell on the right places as she squinted her eyes to smile at her spectators.