8. A Blast From The Past

AUBREY

The summer break was starting next week. It was already the end of May and everything was going smoothly here and I was happy. But ever since Kayla had broken this awful news to me I want to literally strangle her to death. She ruined our plans of summer because she has to go to Cynthrane for a family reunion as she put it. Her parents separated when she was twelve, and she was in the custody of her father since then. Her douche bag of a brother lives in Cynthrane due to his job, with their grandparents. So, this summer her father is dragging her to Cynthrane to see her brother and so called mother whom she doesn't like. I mean why can not they come here? Does she have to go?

I literally did not have any choice but to let her go because its not my place to say what she should do or not. Sure, I was her best friend but that does not mean I have the right to go against her family. I don't really know what family feels like because I don't have any. And this is getting depressing. I really should talk about something else, like rainbows and unicorns, yeah?
Whatever. Life isn't always like that.

Right now I am standing at the airport, with Violet, saying good bye to one of my best friends. I hate to do this but I have no choice. I was actually planning on looking for that lovely woman who sends me presents, with Kayla and Violet but I guess my plan seems to pause until Kayla comes back. "I'm so sorry Aubrey. I'll convince dad to return as soon as possible, okay? Then we'll look for Teresa Maxwell." Kayla said as if reading my thoughts. I smiled inwardly as to how well she knows me and what I was thinking. I just mentioned looking for Mrs. Maxwell once, which was last month and she still remembers.

"No worries, Kayla. You go and enjoy yourself. I'll just hang out with Violet and the others." I said, smiling to her. "As if. I'm going to see mom after years, I don't think I'll be enjoying much." She said and rolled her eyes. "Don't let it bother you. She's only going to visit." Violet said comforting her. Kayla had always been sensitive about her mother, she was too young when her mother divorced and ran away with her new boyfriend. It left a painful memory and she could not help but consider the fact that she has no mother at all. Kayla and Violet are the closest and most amazing friends I have. I wonder what will I do without them. The speaker went off reminding the passengers to start boarding. I quickly hugged Kayla in one of my bone crushing hugs and said good bye to Nicholas, her father.

"Have a safe trip, Kayla." Violet said, hugging her. She gave her a box of chocolates and Kayla practically jumped over her. Don't get me wrong, the girl LOVES chocolate more than she loves me. Yeah it hurts so bad you know. Whatever, she says she would dump chocolates when pigs would fly. This means never in a million years. She is that addicted. I wonder how she maintains her tall and sexy figure of hers when she eats a lot of sweets. 

***
KAYLA

I reached Cynthrane in the evening. Coming out of the airport I saw my brother standing there with a huge smile on his face. He started towards me and engulfed me in a big hug. I instantly felt home. Cameron is my only sibling and he is the best. He plays the role of my mother and father both. Although dad lives with me but he is barely home. His work keeps him occupied and I spend most of my time with Aubrey and Violet. I really miss Cam everyday since he shifted here. And today when I finally saw him again, I can not stop the tears that threatened to fall. "I've missed you so much, sis." I heard his voice for what seemed like years. Although I face time him every day, and he came to visit a few months back.

"I've missed you too Cam. So much" I told him, my voice breaking at the end. He seems to detect the wavering in my voice when he pulled away and looked at me, wiping the tears from my cheek. "Hey, little sis. I didn't know you missed your cool brother that much." He teased and I hit him on his arm. Jerk. "Sorry to interrupt kids but you can continue your reunion at home. Your mother is waiting." Dad's voice cut our little brother-sister moment. I stiffened at the mention of my mother. I'll see her after three years and I really did not like the idea of that.