CHAPTER EIGHT: Stay The Night.

Carl Davis

We stood at the long dim hallway of the hospital. It had been an hour, to be precise, the operation was going on.

In the past hour, Shawn had literally cried as watching blood flow wasn’t exactly his strong feature.

Three years ago there was this time when he got a paper cut. It wasn’t much long after we moved in together. That’s when I knew Shawn feared blood. He couldn’t stand the sight of it since he made such a large issue of a small paper cut.

He had blood phobia. But I was glad that he had controlled his phobia for blood for this long. Actually, this might break his previous records. I knew it was a big or more like enormous deal for him.

Shawn and I paced to and fro in the dim corridor in opposite directions to each other. He went left, I went right. We were way too anxious to think of anything but the man. The sight of him sent chill down my spine. I had never, ever witnessed such a sight in my life up till now, and that’s one reason I was terrified.

If I was in this state after watching the whole incident then what about Shawn? He already feared blood and the sight of the man earlier would give him nightmares.

Expressions of fear and worry appeared on Shawn’s face. He had been doing a good or rather I must say, a great job at maintaining his calm for quite a long time but he was losing it now. The face of fear and worries were taking over his maintenance on his calmness. It didn’t go unnoticed by me.

I placed my hand on his shoulder as for him to know that whatever happens, it will be fine. I still doubted my words as well as my thoughts. But Shawn needed this comfort. He needed someone to tell him that everything was going to be fine, sooner or later.

I removed my hand from his shoulder when I heard my phone ring. I slid out my phone and saw Leah’s name flashing on the screen. I dismissed the call as it was no important to what the current situation was. I slid it back into my pocket. I resumed my thoughts and was just about to say something to comfort Shawn because I knew, he need it now. I got interrupted as my phone began ringing again. I slid it out and saw Leah’s name flashing on the screen, again. She was getting worried, clearly.

Shawn looked at me with eyes questioning:

“Who is it?”

“It’s Leah.” He nodded and I answered the call.

“Yeah?”

“Where are the two of you?”

“Ummm…something came up. We’re busy, call you later!”

“Wait! Won’t you be at the apartment tonight?”

“I don’t think so. Maybe! Anyway, I got to go.”

I ended the call as my eyes caught the slight, silent movement of the door of the operation theater. Mine, as well as Shawn’s eyes remained glued to the sight of the doctor walking out of the Operation Theater. As the doctor walked towards us, the curiosity and anxiety levels endlessly kept on rising per second. As he neared us, I struggled to read his facial expressions, but to no avail. There were none. Even if there were any, they were unreadable and for what it seemed like…blank!

 The curiosity and anxiety levels had touched the top of the limits as the doctor had finally made his way up to us and was now standing right in front, facing us.

“How is he?” Shawn enquired anxiously.

“How do you guys know him? Friends? Family?”

“No! Total strangers.”