CHAPTER SEVEN: Drenched In Blood!

Jake Ryder

I walked along the same street as I have been. The pit of my stomach felt empty since it had been hours I ate something. My body ached badly, painfully at every possible spot that the man had hit me, during the fight. Bruises were present all over me. God knows how many of them are going to leave a mark on me, reminding me the incident. Because I know, I don’t lack them at all. I had plenty of marks and bruises already. I for sure didn’t need any more to die.

I’ve had bruises since like…childhood. I kind of had become used to it. Not that a new one didn’t hurt but sixteen years of life with bruises? Of course I’m used to it! And that was one reason to run away besides, that man needed a life lesson.

I was being very attentive to my thoughts, which was pretty rare. I was so captivated in my thoughts or rather I’d prefer my previous reality, that I hadn’t noticed what was coming further.

I abruptly whipped my head to where a fluent loud sound of a car blowing its horn. As soon as I snapped my head towards the sound, something bashed into me. A high amount of force assaulted in the direction straight to the car. I felt my body thrust the force let out by the car onto the glass floor to ceiling window which stood behind me. It was shattered into a billon pieces, some of them with a stain of blood since the amount of force exerted was larger than I or the glass could handle. It was too brisk to register. I fell unconscious before any of it could sum up into my brain. Was it that slow of a processor?

Carl Davis

I drove quietly; there was exact silence in the car from the very moment we drove ahead to the ‘other end of the city.’ Again, technically, I was driving. Shawn hadn’t spoken since then. He sat quietly and just faced the world outside the car available to his eye. I frequently stole angry glances at him hoping it’d urge him to say something. Anything!

Shawn had never been a quiet guy. That used to be me when we first met.

It had been what, like…half a day or night, whatever you might call it after twelve am. It had been quite a few hours I had landed in New York. Random stuff kept floating in my head, fluently. I couldn’t stop thinking. I was lost but immediately found when suddenly something or rather It felt more like someone jerked me and at once I jumped out of my train of thoughts.

“Oh, Sorry man!”

“Huh! It’s fine. No biggie!”

He took a curious, long look at me with his eyes narrowed.

“Umm… Sorry, I know it’s none of my business but is something troubling you? You look kinda tensed.”

“Uh…Nah, not really! It’s just ‘First day at work’ stress.”

“Oh!”

“Which reminds me, I gotta run. Don’t wanna be late!”

“Umm…then, see you around!”

He waved a hand at me saying goodbye. I waved back and continued to run. When I was done and tired of it, I ran to the outside of the park. I walked quite a distance and then yelled for a cab. I couldn’t run all the way to my work place, right?

I made myself comfortable in the cab and slid out my cell phone from my back pocket. I realized it was switched off since I had boarded my fight to New York. I called my mom back at my home town to inform her that I had safely landed and there was nothing to worry about. It was a nice place to live and survive.