Chapter 15 - Emma

[1 Week Later]

I pull the blanket up to my chin and stare out of my window at the kids playing across the street.

Dad is going to stay a few days before he has to leave again for his business trip. He's scared I'll run off to Algard the minute he leaves but I assured him I wouldn't. There's no point now anyways, Andrew doesn't care.

Maybe he's right though, I mean it's only been a month since we've known each other.

It's been a week since I've seen him but I feel depressed and consumed by this darkness and I don't even know what it is. Part of me wants to see him desperately and the other part of me hates him for the things he said. Can I blame him though?

I can expect a guy to come to my rescue and completely change his life because I said so, especially if we've only known each other for a month.

My phone sits on my bedside table and temptation calls me to pick my phone up and dial Andrew's number. Even though I smashed my old phone, I still remember his number. Dad went through my phone several times to make sure he wasn't in my contacts, little did he know that I had Andrew in as 'Rebecca.'

I watch through the window as cars drive rapidly by as if there's no life in them. Just trying to get from one destination to the other. I personally was the same but then time spent in Algard was different. People would stop their car when you were walking home to have a conversation with you or to offer you a lift. It was alive. Williams Square feels so dead. I feel so dead.

A thump on the door draws my attention. "Come in," I shout.

"Darling, I have to stop by Mr. Collins house to discuss some matters. I won't be long," father says.

I nod.

"Oh come on dear. Please don't be so down. It's Williams Square, and you're in your own house," he says. "Trust me when I say this that you'll forget about that boy in no time."

I roll my eyes and slump in bed.

"He was just using you for money. He could see you were a walking and talking ATM and that would make his life easier. He didn't care for you. No one can fall for someone in just a month."

I pull my blanket over my head suggesting to my father to leave. I think he got the hint because I hear the door slam shut.

I peak my head over the blanket to see if he really is gone and to my surprise he actually left. I feel like packing my bag and getting on a plane and going to an unknown area where no one could bother me.

Father insists I meet Dwayne and talk to him so I can see what a great guy he is. Except I already know Dwayne and his capabilities. I know he is a drug addict, boozing player who'll sleep around with anyone who gives him the chance.

There's no chance he'll be faithful to me and I have no intentions of ruining my life because my father will get a whole load of cash in his pocket and his business will merge with Dwayne's dad who is one of the few big people in this town.

My father wants power and unfortunately my mother won't even bother to stop him. It's like she doesn't care about sacrificing her daughter's life. Part of me thinks my mother wants the money and fame too. She's already well known in Williams Square, we all are in fact.

I sneak out of my bedroom and go midway down the stairs. I wait until I hear the front door snap shut to know my father has left and I'm home alone. I don't know what I plan to do exactly but I feel like this is a good opportunity to do something useful.

"Grandma," I whisper.

Running upstairs, I grab my phone from my bedside table and dial grandma's number.

"Hello?"

"Grandma, it's me Emma. This is my new phone," I reply.

"Emma, dear! It's so good to hear your voice. I heard you went back with your father. I was worried crazy," grandma says. "You should come back, dear."

I nod knowing she can't see. "I know, grandma but I have no say here. Dad has me on house arrest. It's the first time he's let me stay home alone."

"You know Andrew-"

I cut her off before she can finish the sentence. "I'd rather not talk about him."

"Fair enough," grandma says. "But you know he cares. He couldn't take care of you in Algard but he has a plan and won't let your parents destroy your life."

"Grandma, it was just a one month thing that I got lost in the midst of."

"Not it wasn't," grandma says matter-of-factly. "I can see the way you guys looked at each other. It's the way my dear husband used to look at me and the way I look at his photo nowadays."

"That's not why I called."

"I've known Andrew his whole life and I can assure you that you won't find a more trustworthy and loving guy. He's honest to the core," grandma says. "He did what was best for you and I know that but don't lose hope in him, because if you do, you might just turn out like your mother. I lost hope in her at a time where I should've pushed through. Now she barely recognises me let alone acknowledges me."

My heart twists at this information. "Well he should've told me. I would've gone back happily had he told me."

"Just promise me," grandma says. "That you'll answer his call when he rings."

I stare down at my feet. Do I want to make myself vulnerable again? Grandma seems to have so much trust in Andrew.

"Fine, I promise," is all I say when I hang up.

When I stare out my bedroom window, I see Dwayne. He's not alone though, he has a girl by the hips and flirting with another. This is happening right in front of our house and has happened multiple times. How can father not see this?

Unless...

Unless he does and just chooses to turn a blind eye on it. Maybe it really is all about the money, which makes me incredibly angry considering he just left telling that he cared for me and wanted what's best.

I watch Dwayne kiss the blonde girl before turning to face the black haired girl and kissing her too. Oh God, I think I'm going to puke! Two girls at once and those girls are totally fine with it.

An idea springs to mind. Dad has a reputation and my whole life he's told me to behave a certain way. I'm the perfect daughter in the eyes of all in Williams Square.

What if I ruin that so called image? What if I say yes to marrying Dwayne and show my father what kind of girl I can really be.

Acting like those girls across the street will be a nightmare for him, enough that he might send me back to Algard to learn some lessons on how to be a lady. I don't think he can stop me though if I behave that way with my future husband. The only thing he can do is call off the wedding.

He has two options. Watch his daughter ruin his reputation and everything he's worked so hard for, which results in him stopping me and cancelling the wedding to save whatever reputation he has, or let me do whatever I want because there might be a chance that after the marriage, he'll be more well known and more rich.

Either one comes at a cost. I don't want this. I mean this isn't the kind of girl I grew up to be. I just have to take the risk to stop the wedding.

What grandma says rings in my ear, but if Andrew really cared he would've rang by now. All I have to do now is take one step at a time.

I can be better off without Andrew.