Chapter 26

Sam brings Max down for breakfast the next day. He's limping and the bruises and cuts across his face are proof of what he's been through but other than that, he looks okay.

He takes a seat beside Bianca as Daniel nudges me with his elbow. "Your friend and my brother, who would've known. Though they look perfect together," he whispers.

I lean closer to him. "They're cute."

Daniel and Sam spent the morning trimming Max's uncontrollable beard which had grown every which way possible.

Today he looks clean and smart. He looks like the Max I had met for the first time when Sam introduced me to his family. The happy, mischievous Max. Except he wasn't joking much today but I still got a good vibe.

I grab the toast and pass it to Bianca who is sitting next to me. I watch them hold hands under the table, the way Sam held mine once at an office party. I blush at the memories. They were so long ago.

Everyone eats with Sam, Daniel and Sophia doing most of the talking. I can tell Bianca feels so out of place. She's usually the talkative one and generally feels comfortable at our house. I mean she usually smiles and laughs along with Sam and I. Seeing her feel so uncomfortable makes me worried. Why is she behaving this way?

When breakfast finishes. Everyone goes their own way. I decide to help the butler and maids with cleaning the table and taking the remainder of the food back to the kitchen.

When I come out of the kitchen to grab more dishes, I notice Bianca with a suitcase heading for the door. Almost like she's trying to sneak out.

I jog to her although I'm very much pregnant now and my body feels the pressure.

"Where are you going?" I say.

She turns suddenly when she hears my voice and positions her body in front of the suitcase as if to hid it.

"No where."

I shake my head. "I'm not stupid, Bi," I say pointing at her suitcase. "Why the suitcase?"

She looks around before grabbing my hand and pulling me to the side. "I don't belong here, Vi," she says. "It's like I'm intruding and I can't do that."

"That's rubbish and you know it. You're not intruding at all."

She shakes her head before looking down at her feet. "I can't do this. Max deserves someone better."

I laugh. "Oh God! You sound like the old me," I say. "You used to be so confident. What happened?"

"I got kidnapped," Bianca says matter-of-factly.

I pull her in a hug. "I know it's hard but fight through. You can't hurt Max like that."

"You were really going to leave," someone says.

When we turn, we notice Max standing there staring at Bianca's suitcase.

"I thought we'd been through enough together to know how we feel about each other."

A tear slips down Bianca's face. "I'm just going to ruin things."

Max grabs Bianca's face. "You're my only hope. In a pit of darkness, you're my light."

Bianca falls to her knees as Max falls with her. I can notice that Sam and Daniel have gathered by the side of the hallway. They watch quietly, tears almost covering both their eyes.

"I'm sorry," Bianca says.

Max smiles. "Promise me you won't ever do that again."

Bianca nods. "I promise."

Bianca holds her breath as Max pulls her into a hug. I do a small victory jump as Sam and Daniel watch me like I've lost the plot.

Sophia joins me. "What's going on?" She whispers.

"They're having a cute moment," I reply.

I turn and my coat catches something before I hear the noise of something shattering. "I swear if that's a vase, I might murder someone."

Sophia places an arm on my shoulder. "Then you might not want to look back."

Max and Bianca pull away from the hug as if noticing us for the first time.

"My bad," I say. "Continue."

They look at each other before looking at me and then laughing.

I turn to look at the broken vase on the ground. "You!" I say point at Sam. "It's all your fault. I mean who said for you to put too many vases around the house."

San lifts an eyebrow. "Actually a majority of them were in the office and you already broke them."

I frown. "Exactly, cause there's too many."

"I don't think the problem is in the vases," Daniel says. "I think the problem is in you."

"So how many vases did you break while I was gone?" Max asks.

"Only like a million more," Daniel says as everyone laughs.

"Haha," I mock. "When I have this baby," I say pointing at my belly. "None of you will see what your nephew will look like."

Daniel smiles. "Oh my God! So it's a boy."

I smirk. "Well I guess you'll never find out."

Sam winks. "Don't worry, I'll tell you guys."

Max and Daniel high five Sam. "Thanks, bro," they say in unison.

"What makes you think you'll see the baby either? Won't you mocking me too?"

"What!" Sam protests. "I was only speaking the truth."

I push the smaller vase off the table. "Now you're speaking the truth."

Sam watches me. "Happy or do you want to break more vases now?"

I smile. "No I'm content now," I say. "For your information, it wasn't me who wanted to break the vase. The baby was craving it. You know pregnancy cravings."

"Oh, pregnancy cravings," Sam says before laughing.