Chapter 8

Sam bursts through the door. I frantically run after him.

"What the hell!" He screams as he grabs Rick by the collar. "You told me she was okay."

I grab at his arm. "Please stop."

Rick tries to distance himself as I pull Sam away. "I told him to lie."

His eyes open wide as he registers the words. "Lie?"

"She has cancer," Rick says.

Sam sinks against the chair. "So cure her then!" He shouts.

"It's not that simple," Rick says.

Sam grabs my hand. "You didn't tell me. Of all the people, you had to keep it from me," he says defeated. "I'm your husband for god's sake."

Tears rush down. "I'm sorry."

His head snaps to Rick. "The baby?"

"The baby is fine but maybe not for long."

"W...wha...what are you saying?"

I grab his hand. "I need radiation therapy. Because our baby is in its early stages, there's a chance that it can affect our baby. I can wait for a few months till the baby has grown or I can get the treatment now."

I wipe at his tears.

"Baby get it now," he whispers.

"But our baby. Sam don't rush this."

"I can't lose you," he whispers. "Not again. Not when I finally feel like I have you for good."

"But the baby."

"I know, but nothing is more important than you," he says and with this he pulls my body against his as he wraps his arm around me.

For the first time I feel like even though I'm the sick one, he is the one hurting the most.

Rick places a hand on Sam's shoulder. "Just do this. Be free of all your problems once and for all then live the life you two dreamed of."

Sam nods. "Get the best doctor on site, We'll start this immediately."

He grabs my face between his hand. "This is what you've been hiding from me. You should've told me. I can't believe you went through this alone."

"I'm sorry, Sam. I really am. You've lost too much, I didn't want to be another reason for your pain."

"You're not the reason for my pain, you're the reason for my happiness," he says weakly. "Since you've come into my life, I've witness more happiness than anything else, and the happiness outweighs the pain."

I throw my arms around him as I hold him.

--------------
*2 weeks later*

"You ready?" The doctor asks.

I nod as I turn back to give Sam a smile.

He looks defeated but he smiles my way to reassure me.

"This way," the doctor says as he leads me down a corridor and into a room.

--------------

Sam holds my hand. "How are you feeling?"

"Exhausted," I say quietly. "I want to go home."

He nods. "I'll sign you out," he says.

I move my back and a pain spikes. I cringe. My body hurts from the inside. I don't want to tell Sam though. He has a tendency to freak out over these things.

When Sam walks back, he grabs my hand and lifts me up into his arms. "Next appointment is next week, think you can handle that?"

I nod. "Yes," I say as I wipe the tears that slip from his eyes. "Maybe if you wouldn't cry."

He shakes his head. "Sorry, I'm trying."

He kisses my forehead as he places me into the limo and then takes a seat next to me.

"I'm okay," I whisper into his ear. "I know you're hurting but I'm fine."

"Tell my heart that," he says. "Doesn't seem to think you're okay."

I laugh. "Will do."

I place my head against his chest as the driver takes us home.

When we reach the front gate, Sam wraps his arms around me. "I'm awake you know."

He smiles. "Thought you were asleep, I didn't want to disturb you."

"Dammit," I whisper to myself. "You should've told me. I would've totally pretended to be asleep if it meant you'd pick me up."

He grabs my hand as he helps me ease out of the car. When we walk in, he forces me to sit on the couch and then wraps a blanket around me.

The butler brings soup out immediately when he hears our voice and hands it over to me. I smile. "Thank you."

Sam turns the tv on and sits next to me. "Aren't you going to work? You've been home too much this past two weeks, your company is going to sink."

He smiles. "Fine by me but I'm not leaving your side."

I lace my fingers between his as we watch TV. When or how it happens I doze off on Sam's lap.