Chapter 12

Sam takes us to a restaurant by the sea for breakfast. I smile as I look out into the clear blue water. I've never seen water this clear.

I order pancakes with strawberries and chocolate syrup. I lick my lips at just the thought of it. Sam gets blueberry pancakes with maple syrup.

I rub my hands together when the waitress places our food in front of us.

Sam smiles. "You were really hungry, weren't you?"

I smile back. "You bet."

I grab the knife and start cutting myself a piece as I use the fork to eat them. Sam just watches me. I can tell he's glad that I'm okay and finally smiling, but I've learnt not to worry, learnt not care anymore.

"Let's dip our legs in the water afterwards," I say.

Sam nods. "Whatever you say, boss."

I blush at the word 'boss.' I don't know why exactly but I force a piece of pancake in my mouth to avoid looking at Sam.

When we finish our food, I grab Sam's hand as we sit on the edge of the wooden ledge, our feet dangling in the water. Small fish swim past our feet and I can't help but grin. I place my head on his shoulder as we stare out into the sea.

"I love New Zealand," I whisper.

"Yea?" Sam asks.

"Yea," I repeat.

He gives my hand as squeeze before moving it to my thigh. His warm fingers against my skin send a chill down my spine and although at this exact moment, dirty thoughts begin to present in my mind, I try the best to contain myself. His one touch can send me off to heaven.

His fingers trailer up and down my thigh as we stare off into the distance, all our tension gone.

My mind skims back to yesterday. How Sam had his hands all over me. How he made me breathless. I think back to the steamy shower, the way he dragged me to the bed and then his body was pressed against mine, the way he kissed the side of my neck and how I almost completely lost it. How his hand trailed down my body and when his lips touched mine.

I shake my head. No Violet. Control yourself. I giggle at the thought of trying to convince myself until Sam turns to face me.

"Everything okay?"

Pink reaches my cheeks as my hand goes up to my face in attempts to hide the blush. "I'm all good."

He lifts an eyebrow. "What's funny?"

I shake my head. "Nothing."

He still doesn't believe me. I can tell by the look on his face. He runs a hand through his hair before leaning closer to me. "If you want to see me naked, you can just ask."

My mouth practically drops at that comment. How did he know what I was thinking of? I shake my head rapidly. "What! That's absurd," I say. "Why would I think that?"

He smiles. "Because that's what I was thinking."

I cough. "You were thinking of me naked?"

"Can you blame me?" He says confidently. "I mean we're on holiday."

He leans in, grabbing the side of my face with his hand as he guides my lips against his. The kiss feels warm and sensual and almost makes me breathless. I let myself go for a second as I lean in closer, pressing my lips further against his. When we pull back, I can notice the red that's plastered over his lips.

I'm glad we were alone here and that no one saw that but part of me doesn't mind if someone did in fact see.

Sam's hand rests on my belly, a reminder that I am pregnant. The idea of someone new joining our family scares me. Sam and I were perfect but at the same time, I can't wait. Hopefully this will be the happiness we need. The hope we need.