Part 26

- Maria -

I looked down at Lydia, her head tucked beneath my sheets. I gently moved her hair from her eyes to once more frame her face. Her eyes fluttered open and I saw the big hazel pools staring up at me. She is so beautiful. She smiled sweetly at me, that made me melt.

'Hey Maria?' I heard her speak so gently I was convinced she was trying to tell me secret. Her eyes were clouded with concern however, which concerned me.

'Hm?' I mumbled as I ran my fingers through her hair. I was a bit sweaty, felt a bit sticky. We had really made out...aggressively. Wouldn't have it any other way though, it was perfect.

'That man..' I felt myself tense up as she paused. '..I'm sorry if it's a sore subject..but that man..who..was he?' She seemed so cautious with me. I understand why she would be cautious, I mean I broke down because of me. Clearly Lara had explained a dude had caused it, just not him.

'He's..he's called Elvis..' I paused and her eyes seemed to widen. How would she know about who he was just from the name? 'He was my...husband..he's Lili's..' she cut me off. 'Father?'

I raised a brow and titled my head as she sat up to be on eye level with me. 'How did you know that?' I questioned with apprehension.

'Lili mentioned his name..once..' I heard her mumble with a nervous smile. I didn't want her to feel nervous around asking me about him. I didn't want it to be a touchy subject. I mean sure it was , but..

'He wasn't..the best husband..he used to..' I choked up a little. God it's just in the past. I felt a soft grip on my shoulder and froze up momentarily.

'You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to...' she was so considerate. So kind. I didn't understand how a woman could be so perfect yet not taken. I wanted her to be mine.

'No no it's fine..' I sighed and started taking. I wanted to open up to her. I felt safe to. 'He used to hit me, and verbally abuse me, he used to say some really shitty things, basically.' I chuckled dryly as I spoke. I felt her soft touch travel to my cheek. I wondered why until I realised I was crying.

'God, it's sad because it was years ago..' I sighed and she shook her head, holding me close. 'It's not sad, honey, not at all.' I felt my crying immediately settle. She was so settling. She ran her fingers through my hair now instead of me doing it to her. I usually hated crumbling in front of anyone. But when it was her, it's like it didn't matter.

I let myself sink into her and sighed. 'Thank you, Lydia..' I mumbled as I felt my body lower against hers. I felt my cool sheets hit my cheeks and her tight grip. I definitely needed a good sleep. 'No problem, Mari.' She spoke gently again.

I felt the stains down my cheeks. God crying was the worst. I let my cheek settled into her chest and I listened to her heartbeat. It was so rhythmic, so perfect. Everything about her is perfect, it always will be in my eyes.

I felt myself drifting off, and for the first time I wasn't worrying about Lili, what time it was, where I was, whether my alarm was set. I just let myself drift off. Let myself let go..she would keep me safe.

                                    - Lydia -

I woke up to the hum of the room. Well maybe it was the creak of the door, that sat directly at the foot of Maria's bed. I peered up, with fuzzy eyesight to see Lili's little head pop through. She looked confused a moment before she seemed to shrug it off.

I very carefully lifted the sheets and crawled out. I pushed through the doors to meet a very eager smiling face on the other side. She squealed a little, clearly trying to keep her volume down as she dragged me practically head first down the stairs.

I followed, slowly and then she started talking once we got far enough away for her liking. 'Lydia! You're really here!' I chuckled and nodded, picking her up as she ran into my arms.

'Yeah I am, I'll take you to school today huh?' I grinned as she nodded and I put her down. 'Where were you yesterday? I missed our drawing!' She seemed so upset and her pouting broke my heart.

'I didn't feel too well, but I feel better now.' I smiled slightly and she nodded, seemingly trying to process something.

'So my mama fixed you up?' She said it so innocently but it still managed to make me blush. I nodded slowly and let a smile creep onto my lips.

'Yeah..something like that honey..' i continued to nod with my words and she seemed satisfied enough so ran off to the kitchen. I followed closely behind, ready to make her breakfast. I was pretty used to this routine since I did do it for a week straight at one point.

                                  - Maria -

I woke to a lovely setting. The sun beaming through, the giggles I could just about hear downstairs. The smell of something lovely cooking. I did miss the presence of the woman next to me, but I know she's the source of these lovely things.

I stood up and tied a dressing gown around waist. One of my thin ones though, it was definitely getting warmer. I headed downstairs, slowly. My head felt a little fuzzy. I didn't feel too energetic today. It's okay though, not having to work form the leave you were forced to take, has its perks.

I snuck into the kitchen, watching Lydia leaning over to gently tap my little girl on the nose. God I loved her. She really suited her job. Sometimes I am convinced she's better with Lili than I am with her.

But, I was noticed by my little girl who giggled and stared right at me. It made Lydia turn her head and smirk at me. I dramatically huffed and rolled my eyes. 'Oh nooo! My cover is blown..' I sighed, again very dramatically.

My little girl giggled but went back to shoving food in her mouth. Lydia smiled at me and turned back to the stove, which I watched her do. God she's perfect.

I snuck up behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist. I adjusted my head to rest on her shoulder, after she jumped. I wanted to see what she was making. 'What's for breakfast..' I whispered and I felt her smile without even seeing her face.

'Pancakes..' she muttered and I grinned like a little kid on Christmas. I gently reached around and went to kiss her neck. She pulled away.

'Ah ah ah..you only get pancakes if you behave.' She pushed her spoon against my chest to push me back. I pouted but I obliged, raising my hands with a grin.

'You got it Princess.' I winked and went to sit down next to my little girl, who was still too engrossed in eating to understand what was going on.

My little family. So amazing..