Part 16

- Lydia -

I had gone home after a few hours of playing what seemed to be a game of 20 questions with Maria's family. The same things popped up, my job, Lili butted in about me being her teacher in particular. How I met Maria. Which lined up when Lili had butted in.

Maria seemed so quiet, the whole time. I felt kind of bad, I mean I'd never felt out of place in my family, I couldn't imagine what that felt like. Probably like shit. Lili's chirpy personality and constant blabbering kept me occupied though.

I still had one more day of school tomorrow. God. I always love my job, don't get me wrong, but I'd much rather be at home. Or with Maria. Or both.

I sighed, sipping my tea. I had been zoned out for a while. Watching out my bedroom window. Honestly I had no idea what time it was. I only snapped out of it when Seb's wet nose pressed a cold feeling into my leg.

'Fuck! Seb you scared me buddy.' I laughed, scratching under his chin before letting it go as he lolled his tongue from his mouth.

I stood up and put my fluffy slippers on. Putting my mug on the counter and pulling my phone out. I wanted to dm Maria. But did she really want that? She might just want space.

I sighed and checked my socials instead, scrolling through post after post. Until my eyes fell among the recommended accounts. One of them was Maria's mother. Maybe I shouldn't be looking, but I clicked on and it was public.

It was one of those pages, with barely any posts and the last ones were years back. I gently scrolled through the few and my eyes landed on one.

A younger version of Maria grinning at the camera and holding up a little trophy, wearing the jersey I'd found her in closet. She's so beautiful. She looked so happy in that picture. Without thinking, I liked it. God. Oh my god. I liked it. I look like a stalker.

A moment later I saw a notification pop up. A follow request from her mother's account. I accepted and followed her back, letting out a sigh. God I have to stop doing this.

                                   - Maria -

'But mama..why'd Lydia have to leaveee?' I heard my little girl whine for the sixth time this hour. Honestly, I felt the same way.

'Because she's busy, she has Seb to look after, remember?' I reminded gently as I wiped down the counters.

'Can't she just bring him here and move in? Then we can all be best friends forever!' I heard her chirp and chuckled a little.

'I can't do that sweetheart, you only really move in with people you want to be family, well in this situation that is.' I tried to explain as simple as I could to her.

'Well, I think Lydia should be family.' I saw my little girl grin and I shook my head a little laughing.

'Me too, but mama can't do that sweetheart.' I put the cloth in the sink now I was finished with wiping it down.

'Why not?' I smiled at her tilted head and scrunched up face as she concentrated.

'Because we aren't married.' I slowly explained. 'Thats the only way she could be family..' she interrupted before I could finish.

'Marry her then.?' She seemed a bit confused as she pouted.

'Ah, Marrying someone means you both have to love each other very much and-' she interrupted again.

'But I thought you and Lydia loved each other, do you not?' God children ask too many questions.

'We will find that out later, go play with your toys yeah?' I spoke softly hoping she would listen. She did. She nodded and got down, running off to play.