Part 15

- Lydia -

I flickered my eyes open to see the white sheets beneath me. I sprawled out into them, sighing. Was it warm in here or was it me? I yawned, sitting up and letting my eyes adjust to the light.

I stood up slowly out of the bed, I didn't want to slip and smash up something expensive, that seemed like something I'd do. I walked to the partially open door and pushed it the rest of the way, it creaked in the quiet air of the house.

What time is it? I hummed a little to myself as I went down the stairs. Briefly being met with a familiar little brunette, who turned and grinned at me, displaying her few missing teeth.

'Morning M- Lydia!' She chirped into the silence. I looked around the little girl, who was sitting on her heels, paper and crayons around her.

'Morning sweetheart, where's your mom?' I asked, doing a double take as I looked around.

'She's on a work call! She said she left you a note if you wake up.' She grinned at me again which warmed me. I went into the kitchen to find the note, I assume that's where she left it.

I ran my fingers along the marble counters until I found it. The note. I smiled seeing the very organised cut off lined paper with very neat handwriting on it. It read,

'Hello Lydia!

Don't panic if you've already saw the time, school called this morning for Lili, there's a big heatwave so no school! No work for you too! decided to let you sleep in

- Maria <3 '

The way she signed it off made my heart flutter a little. I turned to the oven clock, seeing it was 10:34 am. Wow I hadn't slept like that in a while.

I set the note down. Maybe I should hang out with Lili a little. I mean I usually do that all day, so why not?

                              - Maria -

I felt my head spin at explaining the same thing, five times and counting to this specialist. Clearly no specialist. He kept making stupid sexist comments too. The usual, making him a sandwich, I should be at home taking care of the baby. Of which I was doing at the very same time so.

At this rate I'd have to go into the office because of this man. He was being totally unreasonable, he could easily loose his job over it.

I had finally had enough of his nonsense and just ended the call, rubbing my temples. Leaning back in my chair. Then I rememberer, fuck she'd be up by now.

I leaped out of my chair, sighing at the sudden surge of pain in my back. Damn it I was getting old.

I hurried through the door, expecting to see a clueless and awkward Lydia, but instead I walked in to Lili showing Lydia her my little pony collection. Combing their hairs with the shitty plastic combs that came with them. Lydia looked so interested. Hung on every word. Till she noticed me.

She immediately stood up and I sighed. I wanted to see her like that longer. So much longer. She smiled at me, that grin that made me relax out of my angry state.

'Hello!' She sounded lively. I'm glad she got some good rest. I didn't. My bed always seems so empty all the time now Lili is growing out of sleeping with me. The melatonin never works.

'Hey..' I pressed my lips into a soft smile, folding my arms against my chest with a sigh.

'Sorry, I got caught up with work calls.' I explained before she could speak again. She chuckled and little and nodded.