chapter twenty-six: the truth comes out

My mother sat on the chair, smoking her cigarette, without looking at me as I walked into my home. Walking towards her, I prepared what I was going to say in my head so that it would come out smoothly as I explained why I was in a relationship with her.

"Mom—"

"Amelia Yeong?" she says in such a deep voice that I feel myself shiver. She shakes her head as she looks at me. "A month ago, we were just talking about her."

"H-How did you know that I was in a relationship with her?"

"I'm not sure you have the authority to know that," my mother said with a deadpan look. "I am your mother, so I am worried about you. This whole... relationship makes me sick."

"It sickens you?"

"How can you be in a relationship with someone that old? Do you realize she may use you in the future? Lure you into her own demons?"

"She's not like that," I said defensively. "You have no right to say something like that about Amelia, mom."

"She was my student; I can say whatever I want to her."

I had to ask, "Why were you so coy about telling me you were a professor at Oxford? How come I know nothing about that?"

It was a topic I wanted to discuss with my mother because I felt as if I never knew her. Because if she talked about it, she would not be hiding anything. But I had a feeling she had something to hide from me—and perhaps even from my dad.

Her eyes turned away from me as she flicked the ashes from her cigarette.

"There is nothing you should know about."

"But why did you never tell me about it?"

"Because I fell in love with a student there."

Her words made my jaw hang as I heard them. I fell in love with a student there, she seemed such a hypocrite that I almost wanted to slap her across the face. She had the gall to accuse me of being enraged by her relationship status, claiming that it was with a much younger partner.

"What?"

My mother rolled her eyes. "This is why I would never tell you, because that relationship was long ago. I was stupid, okay? I was too full of myself. And I'm just looking out for you, Elaine. I don't want you to be in a situation in where I was."

"Who was the person you were with?"

She scoffs. "That doesn't matter anymore, child."

As my face flushed with rage, I sat down in front of her and shook my head in disapproval. Even though I was aware that my feelings were all over the place, I realized that I needed to confront this issue permanently. "No, you tell me!" I yelled out. "You tell me, so I wouldn't find you disgusting at all."

As she furrows her brow and mutters an expletive, she lets out a big sigh. Then, after a minute, she raised her chin and murmured, "Elaine, the student I was with is your teacher. My girlfriend was Amelia Yeong."

I felt like I was about to burst into tears right now. This is not where I wanted to be.

Why are you telling me this just now?

It seemed as if the people I cared about were telling me a lie, treating me like a toy. Also, I feel like a puppet and no one because of how my mom treats me. My knees buckled under the weight of my broken heart, and more tears streamed down my cheeks. Taking my eyes off of her, I whispered, "Fucking hell, mom."

As she attempted to reach out and grasp my palm, I swiftly repelled her. "That's the reason why I didn't want to tell you," she reasoned with a hoarse voice. "Elaine, I'm sorry. You don't deserve this."