prologue.

Amelia Yeong was meant to remain undetected; she was cunning.

That is, she thought so.

Her husband gave her a direct glance, and she sensed a tinge of hatred behind those eyes. In what way could an individual such as Amelia Yeong engage in a contentious relationship with her student? Sighing to herself, she closed her eyes. She was meant to be discrete, this was never supposed to happen.

Charles, her husband, questioned her, "Do you still want to go through this divorce?" Raising her chin, Amelia shot him a lifeless stare, as though he was the one who was to blame.

"Yes," she replied, getting up from her chair and clearing her throat. "Mr. Benedict will get in touch with you. I'm going to be leaving this house."

He chuckles.

His voice protested, "And you still have the audacity to leave me. As though I'm the one who betrayed you."

Knowing she was the idiot here, Amelie pressed her lips together. They had a great marriage once; why did Elaine have to be in her life? Why must it be that she is the one? It was more than she could answer for herself.

"I didn't intend for this to happen," she shakily says. She is unsure of the reason, though. Charles moved away from her as she attempted to grasp his hand. Right. "I am sorry, Charles. I'm not sure how our marriage ended up this way."

He turns away from her, shaking his head. Instead of following him, Amelia could only stand there like a lost child.

With a sharp edge to his voice, he said, "I need you to get out of my house. And I never want to see you and your girlfriend again after this divorce."

Amelia endured anguish. She wanted to drop to her knees as she saw how envious and disgusted he was when he said "girlfriend." She used to admire her spouse, but she stayed composed and gave him a nod. Although they have never discussed it, she knows that her spouse is also unfaithful to her. She was going to face Charles, but it was already too late. Before she could even give him a slap across the face, he was aware of her affair.

Who, though, was she kidding? She had an attraction for her student.

Elaine, She thought in her head helplessly. What have you done to me?

Amelia left her house a few hours later, packing two bags in her car. She thought of Elaine as she drove through the busy streets of New York. She was so ashamed of what had happened that she didn't even touch her phone. How did her own instability put her marriage at risk? She considered waiting to go after Elaine once her time at college was over. But her desire for Elaine dominated her thoughts, casting aside everything else. She was determined to claim her before Jack could step in.

Her phone rang, interrupting her deep tranquility, and she hurriedly answered.

"Hello?" she said gently, pulling to the curb. Amelia's heart quickened when she heard a sigh resound throughout the line.

"Amelia–"

She begged, desperation evident in her voice, "Baby, can I come there?" Amelia Yeong was desperate.

"Listen to me–"

With tears in her eyes and her forehead pressed to the steering wheel, she said, "I love you, I love you terribly. Can you hear me? Elaine, I love you."

"My parents found out."

Amelia's heart stopped beating again. Oh my god.

Where to begin?