chapter twenty-three: the trip

"So tomorrow, we will be leaving for our little trip," Amelia says brightly. "It is my sincere wish that your parents have perused the letters I have sent; otherwise, you will not be able to board the trip."

Upon first glance, I smiled at Francis and asked, "Did your mom give you permission to go?" She discreetly nodded and passed the question over to me, to which I nodded. My mom felt the trip was really weird when I told her about it. Since the Metropolitan Museum of Art is located in New York, there's no reason to stay in a hotel when you can return home. My mom believed me when I said it was all part of an experience; she had no other option.

"She was a little skeptical at first," I told Francis.

"At least you're going."

With a sigh, I observed Amelia announce our seating arrangements by writing something on the board. "This is the seating arrangement for tomorrow on the bus. I hope everyone is happy with my choices," she called as she glanced over her shoulder.

As I noticed Francis's name next to mine, I couldn't contain my joy and squealed with delight, firmly holding Francis's hand while beaming with excitement. "Thank god I'm sitting with you; I wouldn't know how to talk to these people."

Francis was the only other option besides Amelia, so it was no surprise that Amelia had set everything up for me to be with her.

"As long as you don't talk about Shane Dawson's conspiracy stories, I'll be good."

She giggled as I playfully jabbed my elbow against her rib and rolled my eyes. My attention was piqued by Carl, who was equally shouting with excitement about sitting with Adam. It occurred to me that it had been a long time since we last had any kind of conversation, and I really wish there was a way we could reconnect and become friends. I could not say that I blamed Carl for appearing to be emotionally distant.

Amelia, who has now turned around to face us, smiles as she catches sight of me. Since anyone could make assumptions about our friendship, I smiled back, but not too broadly. I kept quiet about being the class favorite, but everyone could tell that I was. Perhaps it is because it is obvious that I hang out with her after class; however, they are free to spread whatever rumors they like; I just hope they can not see how much we kiss when they are not around.

Amelia then shouts, "Anyway, I hope to see you all tomorrow. This will be our last meeting before our exam, so I hope you bring your notes and write down the information that you need."

I could feel my phone vibrate the second she settled into her chair. I grinned like a fool as I glanced at the notification. This woman drives me crazy, I thought to myself.

I wish I was sitting next to you x

I spun around to see if anyone was prying into my phone, then snapped back at Amelia with a mischievous smile—my ego was spinning out of control. In a sick, naive kind of way, I am in love.

I wish as well. But I'm going to be with you in your hotel room, right?

Yes, you will be. Is Francis okay with that? x

She doesn't really care much. Lol.

Haha, ok. Can't wait until I can finally have you in my arms again :)

I promptly made my way to Francis after my last class of the day and tossed her a car key that I had borrowed from my mom. She caught it quickly and laughed.

"You don't know how to drive."

Smoothly, I said, "Someone showed me how to. And I think you already have an idea who."