LXIII

Kate

It's Esther's birthday!

Upon finding out that she wanted to celebrate her birthday here, Christina and I did a little panic shop. She decided that she was going to make Esther's favourite meal, Southern Fried Chicken. SFC. Esther loves it when Tina makes it so being the amazing older sister she is, Christina is gonna make it for her. I decided that I was going to make Esther a cake. And of course, it'll be her favourite, lemon drizzle.

So I had be in the kitchen most of the evening yesterday, making the actual cake and now I'm decorating it while Brandy guards me. We've found that she's really protective and basically is Marley in dog form.

Adrianna emerges from downstairs and says hello to the dog. She started living with us again after Tina's meltdown and I hope she's getting some help because she's been through a lot.

"Morning." I smile as I make little swirls of icing.

"Morning, Kate. You want some coffee?" she asked as she hugged me.

"Ooh, yes, please." I reply. Adruanna gave me one last squeeze before letting go, "You okay? You're a lot more affectionate these days."

Which is true. She's been open to hugging and head kisses more than before. I don't mind it, I love hugs and affection. It's just new that it's coming from Adrianna, someone who usually likes her own space.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just really need some affection, you know?"

"I get you."

"That's looking good. Esther's gonna love it." Adrianna said as she peeped around my shoulder. I felt her lean her head against my back then and she stayed there until the coffee machine was done. I finished the cake, adding a drizzle of lemon dessert sauce. I was quite proud of myself, it looked really good and the batter yesterday tasted nice. I hope that's a good sign.

Adrianna handed me my coffee after I put the cake away, "Thank you." I nod. I sat on the couch. Adrianna sat next to me and leaned her head on my shoulder. I figured that she probably wants a hug so I put out coffees on the table and hugged her.

"Thank you."

"It's no problem."

Of course, this is when Christina decides to emerge from the bedroom and she stops dead in her tracks, "What's the matter?"

"Adrianna just needs some affection." I tell her.

She smiled a little, "Kate is an expert." and then went to the kitchen, "Whoa, that cake looks nice."

"Thanks," I beam as I look around at her.

"Really nice." she says quietly. She then made herself some breakfast and a coffee.

"She's been different lately." Adrianna whispers.

"Well, yes and no. She's just not masking."

"Oh."

"Yeah, I've been getting to know a completely new side Christina and it's great. She's not as tired anymore as well, and even though she doesn't show it, she's a lot happier."

"Well, I'm glad for you both." Adrianna says.

"Thanks."

-------------

We received word that the birthday girl is on her way. So we get the dog ready and make sure everyone is upstairs with cards and gifts at hand.

We placed a little bow tie on Brandy and she looks so cute. Christina hasn't stopped gushing over her. Saying things like, "She's so beautiful," and "Such a pretty girl,". It amazing how a dog is getting more affection than me right now. I want my wife to call me a pretty girl and give me fuss. And I was visibly pouting but I digress.

"What's up with you?" Sarah asked.

"I want her to do that to me." I say quietly.

"Unbelievable." she shook her head with a smile.

Soon enough, Esther and Marley arrived and the twins were the first to tackle her in a hug. She loves her nieces and they love her.

Then Adrianna and Sarah gave her hugs immediately after, she didn't have time to even look around and notice the dog. Meanwhile Marley had the biggest smile on her face as she started at the dog. Then I gave Esther a hug, squeezing her tight and kissing the side of her head, "Happy birthday, bestie."

"Thanks, Kate. Where's- Oh my God! Is that Brandy?!" she exclaimed once she caught sight of Christina and the dog.

"Yeah!" Tina grinned, "For you!"

"You got the dog for me?"

"Yeah! Well, not yet. We're fostering her and we got her reserved for you and we can go to the kennel today so you can adopt her."

"Christina! You're so sweet!" Esther whined, pulling her big sister in for a tight hug.

Esther spent the rest of the day getting to know the dog and they both absolutely loved each other. And overall, Esther had a great eighteenth birthday. At least, that's what she said. She enjoyed her presents from everyone, the food and the atmosphere. She had a good day. We even went to the kennel to officially get Brandy adopted.

When Esther and Marley were leaving, Tina was saying goodbye to the dog like she's never see her again. I wish she'd say goodbye to me like that.

"Bye bye, Brandy. You be good. I'll miss you!" she said as they left the door, when she turned around, she clicked my pout, "What?"

"Why don't you say goodbye to me like that?"

"Because you're not a dog?" she said.

"And earlier, you were all over her. I want you to be like with me. I want you to love me like that."

"Like a dog."

"Yeah."

She rolled her eyes and sighed before coming over to me and took my face in her hands, "I'm so sorry, puppy. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings." she said as she fussed my hair. And I loved it. I nuzzled my face into her neck while she continued to pet my head.

"Happy?" she asked.

"Yeah," I smile.

"You're so weird."

"I know."