Chapter 77

"I'm afraid I don't understand what you are saying, Ma'am."

Commander Landon was confronted by Mrs. Abbott, who had ordered him to cancel my punishment.

"I said," Mrs. Abbott started, "Lady Corvalia should not be running around and getting sweaty with all of you! Stop her from this nonsense right this instant!"

Commander Landon looked at me, as I was standing behind Mrs. Abbott, and I violently shook my head side to side, trying to convey that he most definitely should not listen to that lady.

"I cannot do that," he replied. "Lady Corvalia is participating in this training because she acted disrespectfully against my knights. Until I feel like she has learned her lesson, she will continue to join us for training."

Mrs. Abbott was fuming at that.

"You do not control Lady Corvalia's education. Lady Catherine does! And she has allowed me to change her schedule as I see fit!"

"Lady Catherine holds no power over the knights," Commander Landon said. "If you have an issue, you may take it up with Corvalia's father, Duke Voltaire, instead."

Mrs. Abbott couldn't reply to that, and turned around, dragging me away by my arm.

"Ow!" I complained, but she didn't let go until we were back in the ballroom.

My brothers scrambled to stand once the doors slammed open, pretending like they were practicing their etiquette the entire time.

Mrs. Abbott immediately began lecturing Rex, who was her next favorite punching bag after me.

Lionel moved next to me and whispered in my ear, "Are you still training?"

"Yeah," I whispered back. "Commander Landon basically told her to shove off."

Luckily dinner was very soon after, meaning I could go back to brainstorming recipes.

Mrs. Abbott seems like the type of old lady who might enjoy oatmeal raisin cookies. Those are kind of healthy too, compared to other cookies. I could probably pick some grapes tomorrow morning and pop them in the oven, then start baking the cookies at night.

I jumped onto my bed, bouncing on it slightly before cracking open one of my books.

I should sleep earlier tonight, so I'll only read a little bit.

The next day, I went out into the garden before training, and I picked some grapes. I asked Chef Cooke to not disturb the grapes I left in the oven before leaving to go to training.

This time, however, Commander Landon was waiting to speak to me.

"Why was your teacher telling you to discontinue your training?" he asked.

"She says that it's unladylike for me to be exercising. But I want to continue training with my brothers and the knights, sir."

"If she has any more issues, just tell her that she can speak with me. As far as I'm concerned, you've served your punishment. You can quit whenever you like, but if you would prefer to continue, I have no problems with that," Commander Landon told me, before walking away.

"How's the food plan coming along?" Lionel asked me once Commander Landon was out of hearing range.

"At this point, I doubt food will help at all," I sighed, "But I do have an idea. I'll be making them tonight and giving them to her tomorrow."

"Sounds like a plan," Lionel nodded. "And make sure to make some extras too!"

"Of course, everyone will get to try them!" 

A/N: Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!