Chapter 23

Mother Yuan carried many bags into the house, so many that the floor almost couldn't be seen, and stumbled over the shoe cabinet.

Father Yuan quickly held her up and took the things from her hands, asking suspiciously, "Why did you buy so many things? All these things... biscuits? Drinks? You don't normally buy these."

Mother Yuan straightened and looked nervous. "I asked my colleague what preparations are needed when receiving a daughter-in-law. But I felt that our family's situation was special and none of the suggestions were comprehensive enough. In the end, I took up all of them."

Father Yuan:...

He still remembered the moment when Yuan Yuan had called and explained the situation. The expression on Mother Yuan's face was so dark it was scary. She clutched her phone tightly and her arm was taut as if she was about to throw her phone the next moment. On the other end, Yuan Yuan said something and she slowly relaxed. But her tone was still hard, and in a seemingly reprimanding tone, she had expressed something along the lines of "you had better quickly bring your little boyfriend back home"

But now, it seemed like she wanted to move the entire supermarket into their home.

"Why aren't they here yet?" Mother Yuan looked towards her watch and frowned.

Father Yuan looked at the time. "Should be soon. The flight was delayed.

They should be here in another half hour."

Mother Yuan's frown deepened. "How would you know they'll be late?"

Father Yuan laughed. "He said he didn't dare to speak to you, afraid that you might feel disgusted breathing the air from the same city as them and shoo them away."

Mother Yuan's face expressed displeasure. "Do I seem like such a person?"

Father Yuan silently disagreed: In fact, you're really...

Twenty minutes later, Yuan Yuan arrived with Chen Dong Lan.
Mother Yuan opened the door and, in a glance, saw the tall and thin Chen Dong Lan beside her son.

Chen Dong Lan gave a ninety-degree bow and offered the gifts that were in his hands. "Hello, Auntie."

Mother Yuan didn't accept them, but Father Yuan did, cautiously complying with her instructions of "good cop bad cop".

"Hello Uncle." Chen Dong Lan continued greeting them.

"Hello, Xiao Chen right? Come in." Father Yuan wore an amiable smile and invited them in.

Among the four people, three of them were friendly and sat together on the sofa. Only Mother Yuan strove to maintain a cold expression, deliberately sitting very far away.

Seeing this, Yuan Yuan wanted to laugh. He asked Father Yuan, "Did you and Mom get off work early today? I thought we would need to wait for a while when we arrived home."

Father Yuan said, "Not only did we reach home early, this afternoon, your mother specially..."

"Ahem..ahem ahem." Mother Yuan unnaturally interrupted him.
Father Yuan adapted well and changed the subject. "Xiao Chen, were you and Yuan Yuan old classmates?"

"Yes, I was in A city during junior high..." Chen Dong Lan introduced himself in detail, from his name and age to his education history, then his work and income situation and even his health condition.

Father Yuan listened as he finished and nodded. He did not say a word and neither did Chen Dong Lan and Yuan Yuan. The three of them simultaneously shifted their gazes to Mother Yuan.

Mother Yuan felt goosebumps rise. "Why are you looking at me?"
Yuan Yuan couldn't help it. "Mom, you're the only one who hasn't approved of us."

Mother Yuan glared at Father Yuan, while Father Yuan gave her an innocent expression.