Chapter 14

"Who would like to try out for the host of the Campus Arts Festival? Raise your hand, and I'll register your name."
It was a class meeting, and the recreation committee member was speaking.

In the midst of his physics paper, Chen Dong Lan raised one hand, with the other still making calculations on rough paper.
"Really, Chen Dong Lan?" The committee member was in a difficult position. "It's not very good for me to report your name to the teacher..."

The whole class was aware that Chen Dong Lan was an inarticulate bookworm. Although this bookworm was particularly keen on answering questions, raising his hand in almost every class, his rigid posture and tone made it impossible for everyone to envision him as a host.

Chen Dong Lan lifted his head. "Is there a rule that I can't sign up?"

The committee member laughed bitterly. "No...okay, okay, okay. I'll write it down."

She wasn't angry, as Chen Dong Lan had been earnestly puzzling over whether there was a rule that he couldn't sign up as a host and wasn't criticizing.

At noon the next day, Chen Dong Lan received a notice of the preliminary selection.

Dozens of students were waiting in the lecture theatre. Amidst the noise, Chen Dong Lan looked around and found Yuan Yuan standing near the lectern.

He was speaking to someone.

Chen Dong Lan moved forward a little but didn't dare to get too near.

Instead, he sat down around five steps away from him.
After a while, Yuan Yuan saw him. "Chen Dong Lan?" He walked over to greet him. "You came for the host selection?"
Chen Dong Lan nodded.

Yuan Yuan came closer and said mysteriously, "Be prepared to deal with problems such as microphone malfunctions or script issues."

Chen Dong Lan looked at him, not quite understanding.
Yuan Yuan laughed out loud. It wasn't in ridicule but more like a distressed parent looking at their child doing something foolish. "The teacher is presenting the topic. Quickly take notes." With that, he waved and walked away.

Chen Dong Lan watched his back, staring for a long time in the direction he disappeared in.

Finally, Chen Dong Lan was reluctantly selected as the reserve for the host because of his good appearance.

On the day of the Campus Arts Festival, in order to prevent any mishaps, two male and two females hosts, with a male and female reserve, were on standby backstage. The hosts were in makeup while the reserves, Chen Dong Lan and a female student, were used by the backstage crew for miscellaneous work.
"The male student over there!" A female teacher hurriedly called out to Chen Dong Lan. 'The waistline of Yuan Yuan's borrowed clothes is too big.

Help him clip it." The female teacher stuffed a clip into Chen Dong Lan's hand and pushed him towards the changing room.
The changing room wasn't locked, and the female teacher pushed it abruptly. Chen Dong Lan nearly tumbled into the room.
Inside the room, Yuan Yuan was waiting for someone to help him with his trousers. He looked at him in surprise and freed a hand to help him.
"Chen Dong Lan?"

Chen Dong Lan quickly stabilised himself and closed the door, locking it.

He presented the clip in his hand to prove his innocence. "The teacher wanted me to help you clip...the trousers."

"She actually got you to help? Then I'll have to trouble you." Yuan Yuan turned around cooperatively.

Chen Dong Lan swallowed nervously. His throat was too dry, and he had to swallow before he could speak normally.