Chapter 16

When Chen Dong Lan woke, it was still dark.

Every day, he only slept for seven hours. He would get up early even if he had slept late, and even earlier if he had slept early.
Because his middle school was far from home, he developed the habit of setting aside extra time in the mornings.

Sitting on the bed, Chen Dong Lan checked the time. It was just over four in the morning.

There was a message from Xiao De on his phone. He and Olivia had already boarded the plane a few hours ago, estimated to reach home at noon the next day, saying that he would call once they landed. He also said that when he sent Chen Dong Lan home, Yuan Yuan entertained him with tea and drove him and Olivia to the airport. He hoped that Chen Dong Lan could help to convey his thanks.

Chen Dong Lan stared at the screen in a daze.

Last night, although he was very drunk, he was still vaguely conscious.

When he was carried by Yuan Yuan and felt the vibrations of his back when he spoke, he fell asleep completely.

In this world, he couldn't find a place more reassuring than by Yuan Yuan's side.

He turned on the table lamp and read a book to pass the time. When the sky started to brighten, Chen Dong Lan discovered that it had snowed at night. Outside, there was a vast expanse of white.

He went to the kitchen to make breakfast, starting to think about what to make, when Yuan Yuan walked out from the room.

"Morning."
"Morning. Are pancakes okay for breakfast?"
"Yeah." Yuan Yuan responded, then stood outside the kitchen looking at his back.

Chen Dong Lan sensed his gaze and turned to meet his eyes. "What?"

Yuan Yuan quickly shifted his gaze. "Nothing. I'm looking at the snow outside."

Chen Dong Lan nodded but felt it was strange. Could he see out the window from that position? He took out the dough which he had previously prepared and stored in the refrigerator. Heating the pan, he tore off two lumps and placed it in the pan, using the spatula to flatten it.

"The weather forecast says it's going to snow during the day and the wind would be strong. Remember to add an extra layer of clothing."

Yuan Yuan replied absently, "Okay, you too."

After a portion of pancakes was cooked, Chen Dong Lan put some blanched broccoli beside it and placed it on the table, saying, "It's ready."

He then went back to the kitchen to make his own.
He was always like this, subconsciously prioritising anything related to Yuan Yuan.

Yuan Yuan waited at the table for Chen Dong Lan.

Chen Dong Lan's pancake was prepared a lot more crudely, not very uniformly pressed. It was alright in the middle, but the sides were a little scorched and there was no broccoli. If outsiders were to see it, they wouldn't be able to tell that the two dishes were made by the same person.

"Why didn't you eat first?" Chen Dong Lan sat opposite Yuan Yuan.
Yuan Yuan answered with a question. "Why doesn't yours have broccoli?"

Chen Dong Lan was focused on cutting his pancake into small pieces. "| don't really like it. Would you like some more milk?"
Yuan Yuan shook his head and did not say anything more.
He remembered when they were shopping together in the supermarket.

Every time Yuan Yuan thought that he had bought everything he wanted, Chen Dong Lan would continue to ask him what he liked to eat, then added more things to the shopping cart. When Yuan Yuan asked him what he liked, he would shake his head and say that he was fine with anything.