Chapter|34|

It is thanksgiving day.
My mom cooks a lot each time and most of it ends up in the fridge.
We don't have any family that comes to visit us. The ones we have also celebrate with their family.
She gets on started on appetizers then followed by a meal of roast turkey with stuffing, cranberry relish, mashed sweet potatoes, saunted green beans with shallots, homemade rolls and the infamous pink fluff.
I was dressed in a black hoodie and pair of joggers. I wore ankle socks with crocs on my feet.
"Let's start this with what we are grateful for this year" my mom said which was our tradition every year.
Dad always start first and me being the last. "I am thankful for my family" my dad's usual words.
"I am thankful for my family, my job" my mom said.
I always have a lot of things I am grateful for. "I am grateful for my family, friends, school, grades, health" I said.
"Now we can eat"my mom announced and I filled a plate for myself.
We always eat in silence. My mom and I washed the dishes and put the leftovers in the fridge.
Next, we head to the living room to watch family movies and play a few games.
We played scrabbles and monopoly then we watched a family movie.
I got on my phone to check my friend's post.
Amanda family is a lot. Her whole family always come visit every year. Not to talk about her three siblings. I liked her post on Instagram.
Angela, her siblings and her parents celebrate together. The talk with Rob actually went well and they have been going out a lot. I am sure we are going to get the news about them dating soon.
Rose, her siblings, parents and grandparents celebrate together each year. I liked the family photo she posted.
Same goes with Lily, just like Amanda.
Thomas with his uncle's family. His parents died in a plane crash when he was five and he lived with his uncle ever since. They are kind and caring towards him.
Rob celebrates with his family.
I moved onto Asher next. He posted a food table. If I thought my mom cooks a lot then I don't know what to say about this. He just posted another picture.
He posted him and his niece. She is really cute just like I imagined.
I liked the post and focused back on the movie.
"I actually miss these. Spending time with both of you. Thank God for holidays"my dad started making us turn to face him.
He ruffled my hair with a sad smile and I put my head on his chest.
"Me too dad" I murmured realizing how much I missed my parents.
My mom rested her head on my shoulder and squeezed my hand.
We settled for another movie.
The day went on like that. It sounded boring but I actually had much fun with my parents.
I wish everyday was like this.
We don't always get what we wish for.
Yeah we don't.
——-———————-———————————
————————————————————-
Hey - A.
Hi - S.
I am bored - A.
It is just five days to Christmas and you are bored - S.
Yeah - A.
Wow - S.
What about we go out together for lunch?- A.
Sounds nice- S.
Good I will pick you up in half an hour- A.
Works for me - S.
I put my phone down and squealed.
What to wear?
I opened my cupboard and scanned through. I put on a cute top and denim high waisted jeans. I put on a jacket and wore my white vans. I put a beanie on my hair so didn't bother doing anything to my hair. I applied lip gloss and decided to leave it like that. I don't want to look like I am trying to hard.
I hurried to the living room. I almost stumbled in my attempt to put on my vans.
Chill, he is going to call you when he is here.
I settled on the couch and tapped my phone on my lap continuously.
This is the longest thirty minutes of my life and I kept glancing at my phone.
And finally my phone pinged.
I am outside - A.
"Mom I am going out to meet a friend" I called out as I grabbed my coat from the hanger.
"Come back early, we have got to decorate the Christmas tree" she shouted from her room.
I took a deep breath before walking out.
I saw him standing beside his car holding something or more like a person.
I got to him and noticed he was holding a little girl that looks like his niece.
Or his niece dummy.
"I think I forgot the little part that I am going to be bringing my niece" he said running his hands through his hair furiously.
Okay so this is not date. I thought wrong again. It should be fun right?
"It is fine" I said and moved closer to be able to bond with the little cutie.
"Who might you be?" I cooed and she just buried her head in his shoulder.
"Don't worry Adry, she just want to be your friend" he said in a little voice and she turned to face me.
I froze because she is the most beautiful kid I have ever seen.
She has ocean blue eyes, honey hair. She is really pretty. "Hi I am Stephanie" I said holding out a hand.
She observed my hand for a while before putting her little hand in it. "I am Syd. You are really pwetty" she replied with her angelic voice and I smiled.
I didn't understand the last part.
"She said you are pretty" Asher translates and she nodded agreeing with him.
My heart fluttered. "You are pretty too" I replied pulling her cheeks a bit making her giggle.
She extended her hands to me and I understand that meant for me to carry her . I obliged and Asher let out a chuckle. "She doesn't warm up to people easily. You are the first" he explained.
"What can I say? I am a natural" I replied and watched her staring at my face.
She then laid her head on my chest. "Friezzing" she squeaked out and I quickly understand what she meant.
"She is cold" I told him and he unlocked the car quickly.
I put her in the backseat and strapped the belt around.
He opened the front door for me and I thanked him. He comes in turning on the heater and started the car.
He drove to our destination.
He parked in front of a nice cafe and we got down. I offered to hold Sydney.
We entered and got led to a window table.
"Hello, I am your waiter for today. What had you like to have?" I am thankful we don't have a flirty waitress to deal with.
Especially in front of a kid.
We told him our orders, Asher helping Sydney order since she couldn't really understand the words in the menu. He comes back after a while with our orders.
A old couple stopped in front of our table. The woman faced Sydney and smiled a bit. Okay what is happening?
"Is she yours? You look beautiful together. Young couples nowadays" the old woman gushed while her husband just kept smiling beside her.
"No_" I started but was cut off.
"Yes she is" Asher replied and I whipped my head around to face him.
Sydney didn't understand what was happening and continued munching on her fries.
"We were also once like this. We had our first child when we were 17" she explained beaming at us.
"That is really nice" Asher commented.
"I pray you will grow old together" the woman said and Asher smiled at her.
Her husband finally pulled her away and I turned to him. I glared at him a bit and he ignoring popping fries in his mouth. "Why do you like going along with everything?" I said and he arched an eyebrow.
"The first time about me being your girlfriend and now I am your wife" I groaned out in frustration.
"Oh you still remember that. It is fun to play along" he said and I rolled my eyes at him. I focused back on salsa and chips.
"Or do you want to be?" he said softly and I looked up to face him. I choked on air and started coughing fully understanding what he just said
I couldn't tell what he was thinking as he kept staring at me intently.
I finally stopped coughing to give him an answer. "No. Yes. What do you mean? Are you? I am" I stopped realizing I wasn't making any sense.
"Nothing" he said and got busy with his phone.
He can't just say things like that and reply with nothing afterwards. "I'm full" Sydney whispered softly to me and I turned to her.
Her plate was empty and I smiled at her. "I am proud of you" I said raising my hands up and she high five clearly understanding me.
I am also done. I couldn't eat any more after that.
Asher called the waiter and he paid with his card. He gave a few dollar to the waiter before we heading out. I held her in my hands again. I am not complaining because I am already in love with her. I really love kids and extremely good with them.
Are you?
That is why she likes me. "Em, I want to go to the park" she said to him.
"It is really cold and I don't want you to catch a cold" he explained.
"Please" she pouted with the best puppy dog eyes I have ever seen. It is not possible to refuse that. She must have used that to get them to do a lot of things for her.
"Fine" he mumbled and she reached out to kiss his cheeks.
"Park" she squealed clapping her hands. He grinned at her and I smiled at the duo.
We entered the car and I finally noticed this was a different car. This people are filthy rich.
He pulled up at a park and we got in.
We settled on the bench and leave her to play with kids her age. "You really love her?" I asked even though I know the answer. I watched her chasing after a girl giggling. "I do. Well my whole family does, she is our little angel" he replied.
We sat in silence just watching her.
After a while, she strode up to us. "Tired" she mumbled before climbing up his laps.
"Then let's go home" he muttered and stood up holding her.
We slid into the car. I stared outside as he drove.
Bright fire-engine red and lime green lights dance across the snow. The illuminated streets reflected the lights, glistening. It was so breathtaking and I couldn't tear my eyes from it.
"We are here" he announced and I looked around to see my house in front.
I got out of the car and waited for him to join me.
"Thank you for today" I started. I am facing him leaning on his car.
"Anytime" he replied.
I glanced at Sydney sleeping in the back. "Greet her for me when she wakes up".
"I will do" he said and leaned in. Is he doing what I think he is?
He kissed me on the forehead and let his lips linger there. "See you later" he said with a smile after pulling away.
He got into his car and drove off leaving me standing out like an idiot.
I touched my forehead and blushed.
He really needs to stop with this little gestures because I am beginning to like him even more.
It hurts to think he doesn't feel the same way. Brushing away the negative thoughts, I headed inside.