Chapter 21

Brooks makes his way closer until he's standing right in front of me on the other side of the desk.

"I don't know," he finally admits. "I don't know what I feel for you."

I tilt my chin down and drop my eyes. "You don't know?"

"No," he states, grabbing ahold of his hips, "I don't know."

I shake my head, confused. "I don't know how you want me to respond to that."

"Okay, let me finish," he says. "I don't know what I feel for you because I've never felt this way before."

"This way?" I inquire, curiosity in my tone.

"Yeah," he says. "I've never had someone drive me as crazy as you do. You infuriate me, annoy the shit out of me, but for some reason, I can't get you out of my head. I can't get our kiss out of my head."

"Do you want to?" I immediately ask. "Do you want to forget it?"

He looks at me, breathing in deeply as he thinks about my question. "No," he finally whispers.

There's something about the way in which he stands before me - almost helpless, full of vulnerability - that makes me see his truthfulness. That makes me see how strongly he feels for me. His typical cocky, self-assured attitude is wiped away from his demeanor, leaving him with his guard down and his emotions raw. And the sight stuns me. But it also obliterates my doubts that Brooks and I can't be.

Maybe we can, after all.

"You really hurt me, Brooks," I tell him truthfully.

"I know, Rem, and I'm so sorry that I humiliated you like that. In front of everyone."

"I don't care about everyone, Brooks."

"I know you don't. That's what I like about you. Forgive me, Remi. Please."

"How will this time be different? I mean, let's be real here, Brooks, you and I...we don't gel. You said it yourself, I annoy the shit out of you."

"What do you feel for me, Red?" he asks, ignoring my comment.

"What?"

"You asked me what I feel for you, and I answered it honestly. Now, it's your turn."

"I don't know," I lie.

"Yeah, you do," he asserts. "Tell me what you feel for me, Red."

"I...I," I stammer. I want to lay my feelings on the line because I don't want to lose what Brooks and I could have, but doing so requires me to trust him, to trust in what I feel, and those two things are complex. I know, though, that I've got to. For myself, I've got to.

"So much," I blurt out. "I feel so much for you that I think it scares me."

I watch him round the desk, coming over to my side. "I feel so much for you that it scares me, too. So, let's be scared together."

I lift an eyebrow, deciding to lighten the mood for just a second. "Since when are you so motivational?"

"Is it turning you on?" he teases.

"It's...definitely doing something," I joke.

Brooks chuckles, but soon turns serious. "So, what do you say, Red? I promise, I won't let you down again."

I study him intently and then nod. "Okay. Let's be scared together."