Chapter 35

I've been on cloud nine all week and that's solely due to the fact that Brooks Caldwell has been occupying my time. My mind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super appreciative for everything else that I've got going on, but I'd be lying if I said if that Brooks hasn't brought a massive chunk of newfound happiness and excitement to my life.

Even now. As I'm working the golf course, caddying after Jimmy.

The more time that I spend at this job, the more irritated Brooks gets. He doesn't like Jimmy or trust him, so he doesn't want me around him. And I can't say that I blame Brooks. I don't trust Jimmy, either.

In fact, lately, he's been flirtier with me than usual, and while I make sure to keep my distance and stay professional, he's been making that hard for me.

The other week, he scored a "birdie" – I think that's what it's called – and he immediately went in to hug me. I backed off instantly, but he looked at me dumbfounded like I was the weird one for not wanting to hug him.

I didn't tell Brooks about it because I knew that it would've just riled him up, and I need this extra job. But if Jimmy continues to make me feel uncomfortable, then I won't hold back.

Jimmy's friends had to leave early today, which means that I'm stuck alone with him for another hour. He has me driving the golf cart, but still won't let me do the 'hard' part of my job, like carry the clubs or get the golf balls.

"I've been meaning to talk to you, you know?" Jimmy says as we pack up the cart, and I'm so happy that my work here is done until next week.

"You've been talking to me all day," I tell him otherwise. I think he takes it humorously because he starts chuckling even though my tone is completely stern.

"I mean alone. One-on-one."

I make sure not to look at him, and keep my attention on packing up. "What's up?"

"I'd like to give us another chance," he blurts out, and I look at him, confused.

"Another chance at what?"

"Us," he repeats the word, waving between both our bodies. "You and me."

"There was never an 'us', Jimmy," I tell him matter-of-factly. "And I wouldn't like that. I'm with Brooks now."

"Yeah, but are you really?" Jimmy questions, squinting his eyes at me.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that I don't think you really know Brooks Caldwell like you think you do."

"I think I know him more than you do."

"Maybe on a personal level. But I've definitely seen more from him than you have."

I don't know why I stick around to even entertain this conversation, but part of me feels defensive; like I have to.

"If you're referring to Brooks' party-boy ways, don't fret. I've heard and seen them, too."

"And, what?" Jimmy presses, sarcasm in his tone. "You think you've seen it all?"

"I've seen enough."

"You've 'seen enough'. Right," he repeats my words with a condescending chortle. "But you think he's capable of staying loyal to you? Of treating you the way that you deserve to be treated?"

"You're in no position to talk about how I should be treated, Jimmy. Care for me to remind you how you treated me the night that you took me out? I'm happy to refresh your memory."

Jimmy clicks his jaw open, holding onto the corners of it with his fingers, in an attempt to hide his shame. "I apologized for my behavior that night. But you're not answering my question."

"Which is what exactly?"

"Do you think that that your boyfriend is loyal?"

"Yes. I do," I state with conviction, with no hesitancy in my tone whatsoever.

Jimmy shakes his head. "You're just setting yourself up for disappointment, Remi. Thought you were smarter than that."

"Yeah, and I thought you were the most amazing guy on this planet. Guess we aren't always right about everything, now, are we?"

"Nah," he says, taking strides my way; the act making me uncomfortable. "You're right about me being amazing. I'm way more amazing than your man Brooks."

"You have your opinion, and I have mine."

"It's not an opinion, Remi, it's a fact. Ask any girl in Wilmington and they'll tell you that I'm better."

"I don't need to ask. I already know that that's a lie."

"Wow," he chuckles in disbelief, "he really has you wrapped around his finger, doesn't he?"

"Not at all, actually. I think you're getting me confused with all the girls that you've manipulated."

"I don't need to manipulate girls to screw them."

I tilt my head to the side, a conceited smirk on my face. "Really? You sure about that? Because I spoke to Kelsey Abrams. She texted me a few days after Clay's party. She knew that we went out that night, but you're lying ass told her you dumped me right after dinner...even though we both know that that wasn't the case. Let's just say that I explained to her that you and I have two different versions of how things really went down."

"Kelsey's been in love with me since the 2nd grade," Jimmy spits.

"Then why would she throw you under the bus like that?"

"Because she was pissed that I dumped her ass the next day."

"You know? Your choice of words really needs some work. 'Manipulate, 'dump her ass'...do you hear yourself, Jimmy?"

"Loud and clear, baby," he tells me.

"Don't call me that," I state calmly, though I feel anything but.

"Why? Is Brooks the only one who can call you that now?"

He reaches for my face, but I wince out of his hold.

"Don't touch me."

"Brooks the only one who can touch you now, too?" he asks. "How about kiss you? Is he the only one who can do that?"

And before I know it, Jimmy's grabbing my face and planting a revolting kiss on my lips. The second that his lips come into contact with mine, I push him hard and away from me.

"Don't ever, EVER come near me again. Do you hear me?" I shout, but he just chuckles obnoxiously, wiping at the corners of his lips.

"Loud and clear, princess," he states, heading for the golf cart. "Your ungrateful ass can walk home."

And just like that, he turns the engine of the golf cart on, leaving me alone on the course.