Chapter 36

I'm cleaning down the treadmill when a voice whispers, "Guess who?" in my ear and soft hands cover my eyes. The sound of the voice brings goosebumps to my body, which can only mean one thing.

I cover the hands with mine. "Hmm, it can't be my boyfriend because he told me that he wasn't going to bother me at work today," I tease, finally bringing his hands down and turning around. "Ah, I was wrong."

He smiles at me and pecks me on the lips. "Hi, baby."

"Hi," I smile back and then give him a quizzical look. "I thought you already worked out this morning."

"I did."

"Don't tell me you're back for round 2?"

"Nope. I'm here to take you to lunch."

"Babe, that's really sweet of you, but I'm on the clock."

"It's almost 1. What time do you usually take lunch?"

"Noonish, but I've been so busy to-"

Brooks doesn't let me finish my sentence and is already walking to the front of the room where Jill's standing, reviewing something on her clipboard.

I'm too embarrassed to walk over there, so I nervously watch from afar.

The nerves soon fade once I see Jill and Brooks laughing. I take that as my cue to walk over, and Brooks reaches his hand out for me to take once he sees me coming.  

"Thanks, Jill," Brooks says. "I'll have Rem back by 3."

My eyes go wide at Brooks, but I don't say anything. How the hell did he get Jill to agree to let me take a 2-hour lunch break?

The second that Brooks and I exit the gym, I interrogate. "Do I want to know what that conversation was about?"

Brooks starts laughing. "You know? You underestimate Jill. She's not as tough as she seems."

"Brooks...answer the question."

He drops his shoulder down and smirks at me. "I simply told her that you haven't eaten or seen your boyfriend all day."

I give him a skeptical look, not believing that that's the whole story. "Then why were you two laughing?"

"I also might've told her what a monster you become when you're hangry."

I playfully slap at his arm. "Liar!"

"Babe, that is not a lie."

I purse my lips together even though he's right. I'm not the nicest to be around when my stomach's grumbling.

"So...where are you taking me?" I ask, and he smirks at me.

"Secret," is all he says.

I roll my eyes.

I should've known.

***

First a picnic, then movie night on the beach, and now a rooftop view. When Brooks says 'surprise', he really means it. Because I'm shocked right now.

"What is this place?" I ask him as I take in the outdoor restaurant that overlooks the most scenic view of Wilmington.

"A little hidden gem that I don't share with just anyone."

I make a cute pout at him. "You calling me special?"

He looks at me solemnly, taking me in. "Yeah. I am." He speaks so softly that it almost comes out as a whisper.

I smile at him with my lips closed. Leave it to Brooks to make me feel all the feels. 

The hostess brings us to a table smack in the center of the restaurant and Brooks pulls the chair out for me, scooting it in once I've taken a seat.