Chapter 17

I'm on my tippy toes, my lips touching Brooks' lips, and everything about the slow yet lasting kiss between us is perfect.

Electric.

Right.

I pull away, but nervously, because now I've got to look him in the eyes and confess.

To be honest, I've always felt this gravitation towards Brooks, even – if not mostly – when we were fighting. But I always put it on the backburner, thinking that Brooks and I could never be. We're opposites and we never see eye to eye.

But maybe, just maybe, that could be a beautiful thing. Work in our favor. You know?

"What was that?" he whispers the question that I'm now dreading to answer.

I press my fingers to my lips, still feeling the lingering effects of that magnetic kiss.

"I'm sorry," I state, but all I get in return is a perplexed look. 

"That's not what I asked, Remi," he hoarsely says. 

"It was nothing," I lie, now regretting my actions based on his tone. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to."

"Yeah, you did," he states, calling me out on my bluff.

"I, uh, I should lock up."

I immediately head for the front desk, pretending like I can actually focus on anything else but that kiss. I start stacking papers on top of each other because I seriously don't know what else to do.

Brooks comes over to where I'm at.

"Remi," he says, but I round the desk and make my way for the machines. "Remi, I'm trying to talk to you."

"Sorry, but now's not a good time. I've got to clean up."

"So, kissing me 2 minutes ago was a good time?"

"Remi!" he snaps when I don't answer him. "For once, can you not be such a pain in my ass and talk to me?"

I march over to him in a rage, my finger pointed at his body. "You arrogant piece of shit, how dare you call me that?"

"Got you to talk to me, didn't it?"

I chuckle in an obnoxious tone. "You're an asshole," I say, walking past him.

He watches me walk back to the front of the room, then trails after me. "You kissed me; are now trying to avoid me, and I'm the asshole?"

"I told you. I didn't mean to. It was a mistake. A lapse in judgement on my part. It won't happen ever again."

"It wasn't a mistake and we both know it."

I grab the sides of my head with my hands. "Ugh, Brooks, will you just drop this?"

"Sure. I'll drop it. I'll drop it the second that you start being honest with me." He grabs hold of his hips. "Why'd you do it?"

I blink repeatedly at him, then pause as I say each word with my finger pointed in the air, "Lapse. In. Judgement. Did you not hear me the first time?"

He shakes his head. "Nope, not buying it."

"Well, that sounds like a you problem."

"You're so damn difficult, Remi."

I bite down on my lip and nod at his words. "Yup, you nailed it, Brooks. That's me. I'm difficult."

He looks down at the floor and grabs ahold of his hips. "I didn't mean it like that."

"I don't really care how you meant it." I point my hands to the door. "Please leave."

I know that I'm being irrational. I mean, I did kiss him first. I just don't want to be honest with him; with myself. Because the truth is, I wanted to kiss Brooks. In fact, some part of me needed to. He was standing right there, his mouth practically touching my ear, and everything about his presence behind my body made me feel safe. How could I not want to kiss him?

"No," he tells me.

I squint my eyes at him. "What?"

"No," he repeats. "I'm not leaving."

"Brooks. I'm serious."

"So am I. Why'd you kiss me?"

I don't respond; I just shake my head.

"Remi, why'd you kiss me?" he tries again. 

Silence.

"Fine," he chuckles patronizingly, "fine. You don't want to tell me; I won't force it out of you. I'll leave."

I know that I asked him to leave, but it's actually the last thing that I want him to do. 

"Wait," I suddenly call out; not sure what exactly comes over me.

I notice Brooks stop in place, and he turns around to look at me. I use the time that passes between us to think about whether I should voice my next words out loud. 

But with the way that Brooks is standing there, I know that I have to.

"Don't go," I say.