Chapter 2

I use the bathroom after I clock out and startle myself when I glance in the mirror that's above the sink. I look like a hot mess to say the least. My ponytail has pretty much come undone and my red hair looks like a bird's nest. Not to mention the fact that my full-face of makeup no longer exists.

I cup my hands together and place my palms under the running water, splashing the cold liquid onto my face.

Feels good.

I push the bathroom door open, so happy to call it a day, when I notice Brooks leaning against the wall across from me, one leg propped up along the cement, his arms crossed. His captivating blue eyes are glued to my body, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't love the fact that he was waiting for me. It also doesn't hurt that he looks like a freakin' model standing there so intimidatingly. I'm not kidding. I've never met someone with a more perfect face. It's a shame that he could be such a dick, otherwise he'd be an 11 out of 10. Though most girls would argue that he already is.

"No, no," I say in a mocking tone, waving my hand down, "stalking me is not creepy at all."

Brooks pushes his leg off the wall and strides towards me in a cocky way.

"I'm not stalking you, Red," he claims.

"Red?" I ask, dipping my chin down. I'm now the one with my arms crossed.

He runs his fingers through his short brown hair. "Your hair...it's red."

I clap my hands together. "We've got a genius over here, ladies and gentlemen."

He shrugs, my sarcasm clearly not bothering him. "Kinda like the nickname for you."

"Great. I don't." I go to walk past him, and a curious expression forms on his gorgeous face. I'm guessing that's why he starts to trail after me.

I stop in my tracks when I feel him on the heels of my feet and quickly turn around.

"I rather not be followed home tonight, thanks," I say.

"What's with the 'tude, Red?"

I clench my teeth together, annoyed with this newfound nickname. "If you're trying to get me to hate you, no need. I already do."

"Hey now, 'hate's' a strong word."

"It's better than all the other words that come to mind when I look at you."

He smiles devilishly, getting even closer to me. My breath hitches at his proximity; at the smell of his captivating cologne.

"Enlighten me, then. What words come to mind when you see me?"

"Oh, you don't want to know," I remark with a shake of the head.

"Always knew you were a dirty girl, Rem."

"Excuse me?"

"Having dirty thoughts about me, aren't you? It's okay, don't shame yourself for it."

I get up in his face and his grin widens. "Careful, Brooks. Any more ego and your head's going to explode."

"Better my head than my heart."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

He covers his top lip with his bottom. "Your infatuation with Jimmy Daniels. Kid's not for you. Keep it up and he'll just break your heart."

"Awww," I say in a baby-like tone, tauntingly batting my eyelashes. "Is wittle Brooksy jealous?"

"Jealous?" he scoffs with a chuckle. "Jealous of what?"

"Jealous that there's actually a girl in this world who isn't vying for your attention."

"Not at all," he confidently states. "Lightens my plate a little, actually."

"You're disgusting."

"Just stating facts."

"Great, here's one for you: you're in my way." I shoo him with my hand. "Now, move."

"One more thing and I'll skedaddle."

I close my eyes then open them, folding my arms together and letting out a deep sigh. "What?"

"I'm throwing a party at my place. Consider yourself cordially invited."

"Sorry. Can't make it."

He drops his shoulders down, then gives me a slighted look. "How is that possible? I didn't even tell you when it is."

I cross my messenger bag over my shoulder. "Because. It could be today. Tomorrow. Next month. Doesn't really matter. I'm busy."

"I know you well enough to know that you're never busy."

"That's funny, considering you know nothing about me."

"I know that you're crushing on Jimmy Daniels."

I widen my eyes, looking at him in amazement. "Why are you so hellbent on me liking Jimmy?"

Brooks closes the remaining space between us, then reaches for my face, clutching my chin in between his fingers. "Don't flatter yourself, Red. I could care less. It's just so fun to tease you about."

I give him a disgusted reaction and pull my face out of his grip. "Your definition of 'fun' needs some serious work."

"Oh, no, it doesn't. Trust me. See for yourself just how much fun I know how to have. Tomorrow night, my place."

"What part of 'no' are you not understanding?"

"Jimmy will be there," he says, ignoring my question.

That gets me to freeze, but ugh, I don't want Brooks to see that I'm caving.

I can't help it, though.

He must notice because he wags his finger at me. "So, it's settled then. I'll see you tomorrow at 9."