42 - Promposal

mackenzie

Natalie said we couldn't eat lunch together today which really bummed me out because this is the first time in days that I don't have a stuco meeting during lunch.

We've finished prom planning. The theme is The Great Gatsby. Natalie will get a kick out of it because that's one of her favorite books and movies.

Her favorite movie of all time is 10 Things I Hate About You. She has a 10 Things I Hate About You poster in her room.

Maddie is the only one that said she was able to come eat lunch with me today. Which is weird. No one should have anything to do today because it's Thursday. That's our lunch day.

"What's going on?" I sat at the lunch table and looked at Maddie. I expect her to give me an answer.

She shrugged and took a bite of her celery. "Everyone is busy."

I looked around, "Half of the cafeteria is busy?"

She looked at me, 'It's the end of school, Mac. No one is gonna be here if they don't have to be."

I huffed and took a bite of the pizza I got in line.

My thoughts drifted to Natalie. Her face yesterday when she heard I got my acceptance letter.

I mean, we both knew I was going to get in. I'm a legacy. My whole family went there.

And her face when she unwrapped the picture frame.

She's so beautiful. But when she smiles, it lights a fire inside me that I can not control.

I love her more than I love myself.

"Mackenzie Valentine, if you could please come to the principal's office. Mackenzie Elisa Auriela Valentine to the principal's office please."

That was obviously Natalie's voice. And the fact that she said my full name.

"Oh girl, you're in trouble." Maddie had a huge smile on her face and pulled out her phone, pointing it at me. "Documenting your expulsion."

I rolled my eyes and grabbed my backpack, "It's probably just about graduation or something. My grades have been all A's since Kindergarten and my record is clear."

"Stop flexing and move."

I glared at her, "Why are you recording?" I stepped into the hallway and the lights turned off. There were flashlights on and people were along the walls holding a single Moonflower.

My favorite flower.

London was the first one in the line. She held up the flower, "You have to take all of them."

I looked down the hallway. People I've never talked to were holding flowers.

"What's going on?"

She shrugged and smiled at me.

It took me so long to get to the end of the hallway. I had over 30 flowers in my hands. I ended up in the gymnasium.

Jackson was the very last person with a flower, "This is the good part." He stepped back and pressed play on a large speaker.

Don't Stop The Music by Rihanna started playing.

Cassie came into the other side of the gym holding something behind her back.

Elliot came in next with something behind her back.

Alexander backflipped across the floor into the middle of the gym.

Ruby came out next.

Then Sam.

Then Marcus.

They were all holding something behind their backs.