9 - Fall Break

natalie pov

Fall break. A 2 week vacation to do whatever the fuck you want. Most of my friends go to Florida. Which I get. Michigan is starting to get cold now.

Thomas seems to think I want him so bad. At least, that's what it seems like. Especially with the text I received that morning.

Thomas
So glad you kissed me last night!
I was too scared to make a move on you lol.

I kissed him at a party.

I don't think it counts. I was drunk.

But it's a distraction. He's a distraction. Because I'm just so damn crazy.

Mackenzie has really taken a liking to my friends. Maddie and Sam to be more specific. Which I can understand why. Sam seems like her type and Maddie is, well, she's Maddie. None of them are really talking to me right now. I don't understand why.

But it's okay because I'm extremely busy anyways. Our first college week is the week after break and I get to hear back from coach on which scouts were at the championship game last year.

Part of me is praying to get into UCLA. But the rest of me wants NYU.

"Hey." Teddy sat at the kitchen table next to me. "Where's Mackenzie?"

"At Maddie's house." I took a bite of the cereal I was eating.

I don't care where Mackenzie is. Thomas and I have a date today. Here. At my house. For the first time.

I was thinking about throwing a party but I realize how stupid that sounds. I'm too scared to have a boy over so I invite every person that I know.

"What time is your friend gong to be over?" He raised his eyebrows.

"5." I picked up the empty cereal bowl in front of me, "Did you say dad is gonna be here later?"

"Tomorrow." Teddy looked at me, "I thought you liked Mackenzie?"

I stopped in the middle of the entryway. Why would he think that?

"I mean you guys do everything together. You sleep together. Hang out everyday after school-"

"Shut up Teddy." I walked past him and went straight to the stairs.

It irritates me that Mackenzie and I haven't been talking. It really seemed like we were getting closer. But I guess not.

My phone vibrated in my pocket as I walked down the stairs. "Hey-a Thomas."

Hey-a?

"Hey babe!" His voice wasn't actually enthusiastic at all. Part of me hoped he was going to say he couldn't make it over. I guess that's the worst thing you could say about someone you're dating but I wish he didn't just assume a kiss meant a binding contract.

And 'babe' is disgusting.

I sat on the sofa, "What's wrong?"

"So I was thinking we could invite a few people over?" His voice was shaky as if he was actually scared to ask, "Truth is, I'm kinda nervous to be over there for the first time alone."

That's actually kinda sweet, "Yeah. I get that." I punched myself in my mind for saying that dumbass shit, "I'll invite a few of my friends."

"Okay cool." He sounds a lot more enthusiastic, "I'll be over in a bit."

"Okay." I hung up. That was probably the worst phone call of my life.

<><><><>

All of my friends are sitting around the basement. None of us really that sober.

Brooks threw a cheezit at Cass who caught it in her mouth. London, Maddie, and Jackson were playing the Wii. Alex went upstairs to get more snacks. Mackenzie and Sam were on the other end of the couch.