Chapter 17:

Sirens screeched through the entire building and the lights flickered to red.

The monitors slowly shut down and my face fell as I locked eyes with Octavian. Gaius, unaware of Octavian's arrival, had his back to him as he looked up and frowned. "Well, thankfully the machine isn't part of the lockdown system. I told them to give me five minutes."

"Step away, Gaius!" Octavian said coolly as he raised his gun to him. My eyes widened.

Not now. Not when we're so close. My eyes dropped down to the second key hanging around Octavian's neck as he slowly walked up to Gaius.

Gaius turned around, his usual jovial expression gone, masked by a seething glare.

"After all this time, I can't believe you have the balls to do this. I always thought you were too much of a wuss," Gaius said.

Octavian's scowl deepened. "To be honest, I'm surprised you didn't think of what this could get you on the black market."

Gaius laughed. Genuinely laughed. The was something maniacal about it. "Foolish boy. How do you think we got most of the equipment for this project?" He turned to me. "You never heard that," he whispered as I glared at him.

Octavian pointed the gun at me and made a gesture with it for me to go stand next to Gaius. As he came closer we moved over to the side and my mind began racing. I needed to get back to Marcus. I glanced up at Gaius, his face still blank but there was something different about his aura, something dangerous. It made him seem more cunning, more calculated in his approach. You know, I could kind of see the link to Caesar but at the moment he reminded me of Brutus. Maybe if Brutus and Julius had a baby, it would be Professor Gaius.

Don't judge me.

Octavian stood at the control panel, the gun still fixed on Gaius and me. I glanced over at the open elevator and then back at Octavian as he placed the key into its slot. "Looks like I'll just have to make things happen faster. Once you're gone, Gaius, this place will be a shit show."

Octavian caught me inching towards the elevator and he fired a bullet. Clearly, the guy had never used a gun because his aim was completely off but deadly. I caught my breath as Gaius stood there, eyes wide, his cheek and ear bleeding from where the bullet grazed him.

"Great aim," Gaius teased as he wiped the blood from his face and I couldn't believe how calm he was. Even Octavian gave him a concerned look and his gaze dropped to the gun as if he didn't expect to fire it. That's when Gaius striked.

I didn't even have time to process how fast he got to Octavian. His fist connected with his face and Octavian stumbled back. His nose was bent awkwardly as blood dripped from it.

I tried not to cheer too quickly for Gaius as he threw another punch. This time Octavian was more prepared and he counted the attack, grabbing Gaius.

Gaius squished Octavian's face as they wrestled with one another. Despite the seriousness at hand, they looked like toddlers fighting over the last chocolate bar. That's when I snapped back to reality and made a move for Octavian's gun but he lurched for it and got to it before me. Gaius dragged him back.

I felt my heart drop as Octavian knocked the butt of the gun against the side of Gaius's head causing him to crumple to the ground.

"Well, perfect," Octavian groaned followed by a string of curses.

I felt my energy drop. It was over. Octavian had won.

He had Gaius in the palm of his hand and I couldn't do anything to stop him. I slipped to the floor, exhaustion washing over me as Octavian placed Gaius's bloodied hand on the DNA sampler and activated the key. Gaius slipped to the ground like a rag doll and I felt tears roll down my face.

Octavian smirked holding the gun up at me, his other hand still on the key. "I'm not gonna even bother keeping you alive–" His eyes rolled back and he fell forward, face-first onto the concrete.

I stared at him in shock. What just happened?

I glanced at Gaius who was still unconscious and then I realized Gaius's bloody hand had Octavian's blood too.

I got up and kicked Octavian aside, hoping to crush some ribs in the process. I focused my attention on the control panel. Why didn't Marcus or Gaius tell me which override button would bring them all back!

I frantically tried to remember what Marcus had told me about it and that's when I noticed the faint glow of the first key still in the machine. The little button next to it flickering green. The first key had a nasty crack through the centre. It was definitely on its last use.

I took a deep breath.

This was the only option left.

As three guards burst through the door and held up their guns, I plucked out a strand of my hair and added it to the sample machine. As they raised their guns, I turned the broken key and my body collapsed. I winched. That was gonna leave a mark.

The rest of my thoughts disappeared as I was ripped back through time.

[Wattpad word count: 878]

[Total Wattpad word count: 18 409]

Here's to IsaRVale! One of the most supportive and wholesome readers I have come across. As an aspiring author, your words will forever be in my heart! You deserve nothing less than a PLATINUM badge for the amount of support you have given me and put into Project Cleopatra. I am soooo glad you liked it and sooo I am honoured to dedicate your favourite chapter, 17, to you!! I honestly wish I could post your beautiful and absolutely fantastic review of Project Cleopatra but I have to keep the suspense. Once again I cannot express how happy you have made me. 

Good luck with your ONC too and I hope to see you pass round 3!
Love, Dodelia

 Good luck with your ONC too and I hope to see you pass round 3!Love, Dodelia