Chapter 4

I woke up the next morning to an empty bed which didn't surprise me. I knew that he never slept much and probably freaked out when he woke up. I just hope that he would realize soon that he had to open up to somebody in order to get better.

I sat up and looked around, trying to find Titus but he was nowhere to be seen. I decided to walk downstairs and ask Andrea if she saw him this morning.

I headed to the living room and saw her sitting at the table with the man that picked Titus up the other day. He was probably the foster dad.

"Good morning"
They both looked at me and gave me a small smile before greeting me too.

"Do you have an idea where Titus is? I woke up and he wasn't in the bedroom."

They looked at me for a moment before she answered.

"He is probably in the bathroom with the door locked or on the roof. I guess that he was shocked to see you in the same bed as him. Don't forget the fact that he slept peacefully compared to the last few weeks - if not months even with you in the same room. He is a light sleeper and it is weird for him to let his guard down as much as he did with you. It's a big step for him and he needs time."

I only nodded my head before turning around and walking back upstairs. I had to reassure myself that he was okay. I walked back to his room and found his window closed which meant that he had to be in the bathroom.

I sat down and leaned against the door, knowing that he wouldn't open it.

"Hey Titus, it's me, Anastasia. I just wanted to let you know that you can talk to me if you ever feel the need to let it out. It can be a message, a call, or in-person but you are not alone. Sometimes it helps to talk about it. I'll go now and leave you alone so you can come out again. You'll find my number on your desk if you ever want to call me. Bye."

I stood up and left the room. I went downstairs to say goodbye before leaving the house and driving back home. They both hugged me and asked for my number with the explanation that they would feel better to know that they were able to reach me if needed. I guess that I had a huge impact on him if they had faith in me to help their son...

I was still thinking about him after another week of no contact with him. I feared that his mental condition would get worse and he would start to hurt himself again. I wanted to help him so badly but I had no idea how to approach him. He obviously was scared of other people and was overwhelmed to be in the same room with me. At the same time, he was comfortable enough to sleep with me in his room. He even scooted closer as if I could protect him from his nightmares or something.

I was currently sitting in my history class but I couldn't concentrate. He was on my mind all the time and I always wanted to visit him but a part of me wasn't sure if he wanted to spend his time with me. I guess the only way to help him was to ask my mom because she worked in the hospital. Maybe she could help me to understand him. I won't tell her everything but a few things here and there wouldn't hurt. It was not as if I would tell her his secrets - not that I knew a lot about him to begin with.

I snapped back to class when I heard my name being called. Everyone else was already leaving the room which left me alone with Mr. Mason. I walked up to him with my bag over my right shoulder and looked at him, waiting for him to start talking.

"There is something you should know. Titus won't be attending school anymore for a while. His condition is getting worse and the doctor said that it is better for him to stay at home."

Oh no. Why didn't they call me if his condition was getting worse? Why was he getting worse in the first place? It should get better with time or was I wrong?